Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Hilton, Marriott or somewhere else?

• RTS 123 posts

Hello,

We have about 180k of MR points that we are looking to move as we will be closing our plat (looking to reset the 2 year timer – so opening an Arc isn’t an option I believe).

We have gold status at Hilton and Marriott, still fairly undecided where we should be moving them too. We have 1 night booked in a Hilton for our wedding night this year but otherwise nothing planned for any hotel stays. We will be in Mauritius later on in the year, undecided on whether it’ll be a Hilton or Marriott yet, guess we are fairly flexible and will be deal led/availablity led.

We are fairly miles rich, c.500k in avios and vfc. So don’t feel we need anymore miles for now.

I have read some saying IHG might be a good option now, however we have no status there at all.

Any thoughts welcome.

NorthernLass 7,531 posts

I’d go for Hilton – I think you get 2:1 on Amex transfers so you’d have enough points for 5 for 4 reward nights somewhere nice. And outside the US you get free breakfast as gold, which isn’t the case for Marriott.

RTS 123 posts

I’d go for Hilton – I think you get 2:1 on Amex transfers so you’d have enough points for 5 for 4 reward nights somewhere nice. And outside the US you get free breakfast as gold, which isn’t the case for Marriott.

I was leaning towards the same. Shame diamond has been canned from amex plat.

DonLee 213 posts

If this was a few months earlier it would be definitely worth transferring to Hilton. There was a 30% bonus from MR to Hilton, but you will get total of 70% more due to a IT glitch

Peter K 553 posts

If you are planning to stay in Mauritius on points, look at hotels and their availability now, then move your points to the relevant scheme.

Hilton Gold gives far more than Marriott gold, but the saving on the hotel room should outweigh that.

Remember that to get 5 for 4 at a Hilton it needs to be on a standard room. The 360k Hilton points will give you that for up to 90k points rooms.

NorthernLass 7,531 posts

This just reminded me, I think I read somewhere that the MRU Hilton is leaving the brand but there’s a Curio ?? currently under construction but with no opening date. If OP wants to use the points in MRU therefore, it’s best to check which properties are going to be available on the relevant dates!

memesweeper 1,248 posts

Neither is a bad choice.

IMO Marriott has more of the better properties, at least in the places I visit.

Hilton has more properties overall I think.

Marriott gives you a further transfer option to dozens of airlines.

If you’re looking to spend now, with your current status, the points will likely go further with Hilton.

Last time I speculatively cleaned out an MR account to a hotel chain it went to Marriott. Got a sensational redemption in Costa Rica partly funded by that. But I got the free breakfast which saved several hundred dollars. Then again, frankly, it would have been worth it even if paying for the food…

Maybe focus on the thing you want most, not the best value?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.