Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios How can I close my Barclaycard account?

• MB1 28 posts

I have had zero Avios functionality on my card from day 1 and want to close my account. The website says this has to be done via the chat function.

Unfortunately I also have zero chat functionality either via the website or the (cr)app (see what I did there? I know, puerile).

Anyone got an email address or address where I can contact them? The website lists a customer services number and states that they are open on Sunday from 9am to 5pm, but this also turns out to be garbage and they are not open on Sunday. Is there anything they can’t screw up?

Rui N. 831 posts

Call and follow the automated prompts. You don’t need to talk to anyone.

MB1 28 posts

Thanks, that is helpful – will have to do it tomorrow as they are not available today. I am in back to back meetings most of the week and was concerned about being in a queue but if I don’t need to talk to anyone that shouldn’t be an issue. Is it the customer services number you are suggesting to call?

Andrew. 481 posts

It’s easy to forget that young people may never have engaged with a company in writing. But it’s often the quickest and easiest method.

On a sheet of paper, write your full address line by line on the top left. Leave a blank line, next line is today’s date, blank line, “Dear Barclaycard (thus avoiding mis-gendering the person actioning your request).

Blank line, then write “Barclaycard – 13/16 digit No”

Blank line, “Please close my account, I have securely destroyed the card”

“Yours faithfully”

Sign

Then put in an envelope addressed to:- Barclaycard House, 1234 Pavilion Drive, Northampton, NN4 7SG.

MB1 28 posts

It was the address I was after, the letter writing bit I am OK with!

Thanks!

MB1 28 posts

Having said that, my printer isn’t working and the using a pen bit had escaped me! I’ll get my coat.

iamlost 108 posts

I closed my old Barclaycard by calling. I did it with the automated option, but also talked to a person the next day to get a reference number. They sent me two identical letters to confirm the closure a few days later, so I guess both methods technically worked.

JDB 4,374 posts

Hopefully someone will be along soon to advise how to cancel or wipe your card. It does seem a difficult thing to do without getting third party advice.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    CasaDeTony 3 posts

It’s easy to forget that young people may never have engaged with a company in writing. But it’s often the quickest and easiest method.

On a sheet of paper, write your full address line by line on the top left. Leave a blank line, next line is today’s date, blank line, “Dear Barclaycard (thus avoiding mis-gendering the person actioning your request).

Blank line, then write “Barclaycard – 13/16 digit No”

Blank line, “Please close my account, I have securely destroyed the card”

“Yours faithfully”

Sign

Then put in an envelope addressed to:- Barclaycard House, 1234 Pavilion Drive, Northampton, NN4 7SG.

Thank you! We gave this a shot last week, and it worked a treat. Took less than a week from start to finish, and when I login now, I can see a message confirming the account had been closed.

Mind you, we tried using the web chat to close the account, and were told we would have to call in to close the account. I think this was on a Sunday, and their call center didn’t open until the next day. When I asked in the chat about a procedure for mailing a request in, they said it didn’t exist, and you would need to call.

Fortunately you *can* mail in a closure request, and it does work.

Carlos 758 posts

How long does it take for transactions to stop being charged to the Avios card after closurer? Still got bendy trx going through which is odd..

Carlos 758 posts

Sorted, it didnt go through in the end

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.