Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards The HSBC Premier Mastercards thread

• BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Same, I don’t see the expiry date

points_worrier 294 posts

Re-posting image as previous link was broken

Mine is like yours. Also don’t see many historical transactions listed to know what got points and what didn’t

Click on Spend Your Points. It is down at the bottom.

comeocome 43 posts

Anyone knows the difference between the same Premier credit cards issued by HSBC UK vs HSBC Expat/ Jersey? The reward basis seems to be the same?

Also, anyone tried the NatWest Reward Black? Seems to be targeting a similar audience? Premier banking customers only, but with FX-fee! Allows you to earn points, in the form of cash back and other reward programmes.

rams 223 posts

Re-posting image as previous link was broken

Mine is like yours. Also don’t see many historical transactions listed to know what got points and what didn’t

Click on Spend Your Points. It is down at the bottom.

thanks but only lists 5 transactions?

polly 289 posts

Mine only lists pointed transactions since my last statement. And definitely NO expiring points noted. And no bendy seagulls showing at all.

comeocome 43 posts

I can’t really say anything positive about HSBC right now… they are clearly still stuck a few centuries behind modern banking. Can’t upgrade/downgrade a product based on a simple online form (or a telephone call) and have to send out glossy brochures, rather than get people to use online banking. Despite the objections on here, I might not be wasting my time with these people much longer.

Gosh, yes. Opening my Premier account was one of the most painful exercises of my life. It quite literally took me months of being shoved from pillar to post. And nobody seemed to be able to tell me how to open the account. I recall I got stuck in an infinite loop. Urgh. They haven’t been too bad since..but there was nothing premium about the sign up experience!

Omg. I needed to open an account with HSBC real quick, got Premier overseas, and then the staff were making it difficult about opening a Premier UK account. Then they said if my bottomline is to open an account really quick, then I should just open a basic account, and then upgrade it later on. 2 weeks later, I wanted to upgrade it to premier; they told me there’s a 3 month wait after opening an account. Hello? No one told me that before. Now I am worried that once the 3 month wait is up, then I will be in this infinite loop again. “Oh you have to visit a branch to apply for a Premier account.” “No no, you have to call our hotline to apply for an account.”

comeocome 43 posts

OK, I finally got an answer after speaking to a fourth person (I’ve actually lost count!). Call lasted close to an hour. This is usually a five minute job on the phone to Amex and it’s pretty straight forward.

First I asked about whether they will be giving us another year free. Best answer I could get out of them was “it’s currently showing a cost of £0 but it could change”. It’s not like I was asking for the weather forecast in April, but felt like that’s how the answer was… it maybe, could be, should be, but possibly won’t be. Clear as mud.

Then the last person I spoke with all but confirmed I need to fill in a form and post it back to them. They suggested I do that nearer the time as they may be offering £0 annual fee then, to which I suggested I had better get the form and have it here just in case. I can then send it back nearer the time and won’t need to wait for it then. I then had to answer a bunch of questions (sounded like they were doing a credit check but then they assured me they weren’t…) and hear a bunch of legal blurb (why do they tell you this over the phone when you receive it all in the post anyway?).

Long story short, forms are being sent and I need to wait for them to arrive. I think it’s a good strategy as current times for the post = expected timeframe + 10 to 14 days on top of that for my area.

Received my “form” from HSBC as per my previous posts. What was in the package? A letter thanking me for my interest in their credit cards and a marketing brochure listing all their wonderful credit card products. No form whatsoever or anything that resembles it.

I can’t really say anything positive about HSBC right now… they are clearly still stuck a few centuries behind modern banking. Can’t upgrade/downgrade a product based on a simple online form (or a telephone call) and have to send out glossy brochures, rather than get people to use online banking. Despite the objections on here, I might not be wasting my time with these people much longer.

Is Barclays brining out a card then or what?

Very good point! Feels like digital transformation has never reached HSBC and it’s still stuck in its glory colonial days.. oh well, in their defence, I guess a lot of other high street banks have the same issue? Outdated tech system, old school way of doing things, come to our branch to do everything… any suggestions on a better up to date high street bank?

comeocome 43 posts

Hi all

Just opened a premier current account and am waiting for the details to come through the post so that I can apply for the WE (opted not to go for the premier card then upgrade).

Just wondered if there are any monthly point earning limits with WE (I.e capped at monthly credit limit) or can you pay off your balance multiple times a month and still get the points on all purchases.

Thanks

Need to get a premier account soon, can you share your experience? How did you do it? Thanks

09R 49 posts

Need to get a premier account soon, can you share your experience? How did you do it? Thanks

I applied online. Got instantly approved for the current account and was offered the normal premier credit card which I didn’t accept. Once I was registered for online banking I could then applied for the world elite. Minor downside was this resulted in 2 hard searches on my credit file. I also got a considerably lower credit limit than I am used to but big enough to manage for now

polly 289 posts

And the good news is, you can pay off your balance more than once per statement. But it can take up to 3,days turn around, as l found out last year over summer. Pretty slow IT. They will definitely offer you a higher limit after a while.

polly 289 posts

@Rum
    Best going into the branch asking them to upload the form for you. It’s beyond ancient their system. But once it’s up and running, it’s a good earner.
    And yes you do keep on getting points on every spend, even after paying off balance during a statement month.
    They have just changed the statement format last month. Now you don’t know what your total points earn is at your statement date. It’s a just Lots of charges rolling on page after page. Previously you saw your debit total, plus your point earned total. Far easier system.
    Why fix something that isn’t broken?

comeocome 43 posts

I applied online. Got instantly approved for the current account and was offered the normal premier credit card which I didn’t accept. Once I was registered for online banking I could then applied for the world elite. Minor downside was this resulted in 2 hard searches on my credit file. I also got a considerably lower credit limit than I am used to but big enough to manage for now

Thanks. And to confirm, you don’t have a basic HSBC Account to begin with, so you are a completely new customer right?

09R 49 posts

Thanks. And to confirm, you don’t have a basic HSBC Account to begin with, so you are a completely new customer right?

Yes that is right. Brand new customer

09R 49 posts

Just been looking at redemption options for hotels and airlines. Are all schemes 2:1? Are there any sweets spots / no gos when compared to other earners like Amex?

Sprout 31 posts

Just been looking at redemption options for hotels and airlines. Are all schemes 2:1? Are there any sweets spots / no gos when compared to other earners like Amex?

Dunno if Far east appeals to you? I tranferred 400k to Krisflyer and got 4 one way business flights from Ist to Han on Singapore air (including connectinon in Sin) plus about £120 in taxes. I think you can alos get good redemption opportiunities to Dubai (but shopping mall in the desert doesn’t interest me :-))
    Coming back from HKG on Virgin, again 4 business flights + couple of vouchers for about 200k points and @$100 taxes.
    I’m feeling quite pleased with myself!

WillPS 194 posts

How strict on the £50k saved/invested with HSBC requirement are they?

polly 289 posts

They give you time to transfer the 50k. But you can also buy a couple of insurance or smaller amount investments with them. Or a small ISA. Some people on here got away with quite small sums invested.

09R 49 posts

If you meet the income requirement I thought that you don’t need a 50k investment, just an investment product which could be a nominal amount

Reney 766 posts

If you meet the income requirement I thought that you don’t need a 50k investment, just an investment product which could be a nominal amount

I have £100 in an investment account.

rahaney 44 posts

Think the WE card is done for me – just had my August statement and no points given for any curve payments for a variety of tests – some triggering a fee, others not – but no points given. I’ve checked online and normal transactions have credited – though I think as folk have said above you won’t see a points section on the statement anymore which is a pain.

I’ll downgrade to the free but I don’t think they refund pro-rata like Amex.

If anyone has found any avenues still working wrt this card let me know and I’ll keep looking.

Cheers

Tariq 79 posts

I am seeing points awarded against some Curve transactions but not others. I am not certain that this is a result of incompetence associated with the change in points portal/system as opposed to an intentional change by HSBC.

09R 49 posts

Do you have to wait for the statement to see points or can you see them as transactions clear in the app? Do you have examples of curve transactions that have earned points, those that have not earned points and those that have attracted a fee?

polly 289 posts

@rahaney
    Why downgrade, keep the card for the rest of your paid year. Def no pro rata refund. But at least you get 2 pts for q £spent in the meantime. Then give notice before your fee is next due to drop down to the free card.

@Reney

Is that it??? Wow. Or your salary also?

rahaney 44 posts

@rahaney
    Why downgrade, keep the card for the rest of your paid year. Def no pro rata refund. But at least you get 2 pts for q £spent in the meantime. Then give notice before your fee is next due to drop down to the free card.

Hi @polly, yes, apologies, that’s what I meant to write as I suspected there was no pro-rata refund.

@09R
    – you can’t see them in the app online only in the new reward area then clicking spending my points then it’s down the bottom. Normal curve spending works fine. Everything else now has been clamped down on – actually since they updated the rewards – must be actually taking note of the MCC now. See multiple posts of others in this thread and others previously. Just wanted to post my 2p…

09R 49 posts

@rahaney how long does it normally take for the points to post after the transaction settles?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.