Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Other frequent flyer schemes Icelandair – any experience?

• LeeH 25 posts

Anyone here have experience flying with these? I’m looking to do a MAN-MSP return trip in the summer, and they appear to have decent pricing (I’ll have to change at KEF)…

Entitled 68 posts

I’ve done MAN-KEF and JFK-KEF-MAN on Icelandair and also MAN-KEF on other airlines.

KEF is a small but modern airport. It has a little bit of everything and is absolutely fine for a stop over. Particularly on route to the US it adds very little time with a minimal diversion. No complaints either about Icelandair as a carrier.

So long as the cost is reflective of the need to change planes I’d go for it.

LeeH 25 posts

I’ve done MAN-KEF and JFK-KEF-MAN on Icelandair and also MAN-KEF on other airlines.

KEF is a small but modern airport. It has a little bit of everything and is absolutely fine for a stop over. Particularly on route to the US it adds very little time with a minimal diversion. No complaints either about Icelandair as a carrier.

So long as the cost is reflective of the need to change planes I’d go for it.

Fab, thanks! There aren’t any direct flights, so I’d have to change with whoever I fly with… Good to know they aren’t terrible!

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Richard Peters 171 posts

Anyone able to add some recent experiences: nice priced flight to the US atm

TIA

Joe G 80 posts

My partner is Icelandic so fly Icelandair a lot visiting friends/family, mainly GLA to KEF. In my opinion they are fine as an airline, no frills in economy and I think Saga class is pretty much similar to BA club Europe. We sometimes fly to EDI-KEF Easyjet if the fares are significanly cheaper and I personally don’t notice much of a difference in terms of the overall experience.

Keflavik is geared up for connections, usually the flights are usually full of Americans/Canadians coming back from or going to visit Scotland. I think they will also offer you a free stopover in Iceland if you want to visit Reykjavik for a couple of days. It is worth noting there are no lounge options in KEF unless you are flying Icelandair Saga class.

I wish they would join some sort of airline alliance as the points you get for their frequent flyer scheme aren’t tremendously useful if you only want to go to Iceland a couple of times a year!

John 1,000 posts

I wish they would join some sort of airline alliance as the points you get for their frequent flyer scheme aren’t tremendously useful if you only want to go to Iceland a couple of times a year!

If you only go to Iceland once every 3 years the points are useful for getting some food on board :p

Richard Peters 171 posts

Thanks: did TP run with BA earlier in the year and business lounge was great. Was looking at flying from HEL but GLA could be a quicker route to KEF and probably cheaper but I do like the A330/350. Will keep on playing with options till I find one that works while avoiding UK passenger duty

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.