Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards IHG Black credit card free night certificate

• Peggerz 100 posts

I have a booking made some months ago on the – for me – defunct IHG Black CC free night cert that we may have difficulty making. I think I’m right in saying that during the hiatus of Covid IHG were flexible when it came to these certificates but believe under normal circumstances they are not transferable to another date at the same hotel within a week or so of the original date. Is that correct? If so, as I don’t want to lose the certificate should I contact IHG or the hotel direct and plead my case? Anyone had any success?

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,095 posts

I had success when the hotel failed to reopen after lockdown. Many IHG hotels in Dublin are de facto closed to house Ukrainians. But still (unrealistically) available to book in advance. Maybe try booking one there, knowing the hotel will cancel on you and give you reasonable grounds to appeal to IHG. Worst case scenario you get a night in Dublin if the hotel does re-open

iamfugly 28 posts

I have a booking made some months ago on the – for me – defunct IHG Black CC free night cert that we may have difficulty making. I think I’m right in saying that during the hiatus of Covid IHG were flexible when it came to these certificates but believe under normal circumstances they are not transferable to another date at the same hotel within a week or so of the original date. Is that correct? If so, as I don’t want to lose the certificate should I contact IHG or the hotel direct and plead my case? Anyone had any success?

Did you have any success in asking the hotel to move the reservation date? I am interested as I would like to make a change to a confirmed free night stay too.
    Thanks

Peggerz 100 posts

Did you have any success in asking the hotel to move the reservation date? I am interested as I would like to make a change to a confirmed free night stay too.
    Thanks

Hi @ Iamfugly.
    I’m sorry. I should have updated sooner.
    I contacted the hotel – Kimpton Blythswood – on a weekend day and told reception couldn’t deal with my request and reservations only open Monday to Friday.
    On the Monday I phoned the ‘hotel phone number’ and it certainly wasn’t a Glasgow accent and I assume an American Callcentre that answered. They were initially willing to help but couldn’t get the system to move the booking as I was trying to move the booking after the ‘book by’ date.
    I then emailed the hotels reservations dept and got a very positive reply. They moved to my prefer date immediately.
    It’s my second time at the Blythswood and status recognition was great, double upgrade. Superb service and a perfect night away.
    So the answer seems to be pleading your case with the hotels own reservations dept.
    I hope this helps.
    Peggerz.

iamfugly 28 posts

Hi Peggerz,
    Many thanks for your response. I tried the IHG online Digital Concierge (obviously choosing to speak to a rep), they gave me the computer says no answer. I emailed Kimpton Fitzroy, who were also not interested in helping to move the booking, which was not unexpected (I guess you were lucky with northern hospitality etc!? :p ). I may try one last time but as the great Steve Carrell once said, if you don’t use it you lose it, so I may have to just swallow this mistake and plan better with the next cert.
    Appreciate your time to reply anyway.

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

@peggerz – when was your upgrade at Blythswood Square applied? I have 2 nights booked next month (Ambassador BOGOF) and it’s still stubbornly showing “Essential Room”! I enquired about parking and got a very limp response from Reservations with no reference to any other aspect of our stay. Very different from our 2 fabulous stays at Charlotte Square so far. I was really looking forward to the visit as we had to cancel twice during lockdown, it will finally complete our tour of UK Kimptons, lol!

Peggerz 100 posts

Hi Peggerz,
    Many thanks for your response. I tried the IHG online Digital Concierge (obviously choosing to speak to a rep), they gave me the computer says no answer. I emailed Kimpton Fitzroy, who were also not interested in helping to move the booking, which was not unexpected (I guess you were lucky with northern hospitality etc!? :p ). I may try one last time but as the great Steve Carrell once said, if you don’t use it you lose it, so I may have to just swallow this mistake and plan better with the next cert.
    Appreciate your time to reply anyway.

Hi @iamfugly
    Sorry to hear of your difficulties. I have to admit that a polite ‘no’ was what I was going to get so feel I got lucky. I was moving from a weekend day to a weekday so this may have helped. Keep trying because it obviously can be changed.

Peggerz 100 posts

@peggerz – when was your upgrade at Blythswood Square applied? I have 2 nights booked next month (Ambassador BOGOF) and it’s still stubbornly showing “Essential Room”! I enquired about parking and got a very limp response from Reservations with no reference to any other aspect of our stay. Very different from our 2 fabulous stays at Charlotte Square so far. I was really looking forward to the visit as we had to cancel twice during lockdown, it will finally complete our tour of UK Kimptons, lol!

Hi @NorthernLass
    I didn’t want to rock the boat, put my head above the parapet, draw attention to myself (etc….etc….) as I knew that the hotel had re-booked me on the CC free night outside the rules. I hadn’t been informed of any upgrades before arrival and had decided not to enquire about this so we were initially booked into an essential room too. We were upgraded on arrival. It was my second stay in a year, both on free nights.
    I see you are driving up. The hotel is just 10 mins walk, less by taxi from both Queen Street and Central stations. I don’t know what your plans are otherwise, but if you can let the train take the strain then do so.
    The hotel staff were wonderful , just like those I know at the Kimpton Charlotte. Nothing was too much trouble. The social evening is held in the lobby, but take your drink and go up one level to the ‘Salon’ which is a lot more relaxed and quiet. The bar in the Salon isn’t open atm, but there’s lots of space and they came up and re-filled our glasses (generously) when we were there.
    Enjoy your stay.

@Peggerz

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

Thanks – I’ll probably just wait and see then! We’re doing a bit of a road trip, staying in Co. Durham to see friends en route so will be driving – also as per one of my other threads the trains are absolutely shocking at the moment and can’t be relied on, especially at weekends!

We were spoiled rotten at Charlotte Square, both times. Never had a welcome like it and we generally seem to get lucky as Diamonds in IHG properties.

There’s a Mary Queen of Scots exhibition at the Hunterian currently which is an added bonus! I am a life-long obsessive.

iamfugly 28 posts

Ok so tried again directly with Fitzroy hotel reservations and got the same computer says no response. Hey ho!
    Plus I totally agree with NorthernLass about the service from Charlotte Square, compared to the Fitzroy the willingness to help and the welcome is like night and day.
    Anyway, just a question about the Diamond upgrade, should I be seeing the upgrade in my upcoming stays online, or is it usually just applied at check in if available? Many thanks

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.