Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Covid travel Insurance and FCO advisories

Insurance and FCO advisories

• Cat

I feel like this is a daft question – sorry if it is, but I’m about to buy an annual travel insurance policy (Churchill, as it’s one of the top 5 Which? recommended policies for Covid cover), and as I’m only covered if there are no travel advisories at the time of paying for the trip, or the insurance (whichever is later), I want to check whether there are any actual travel advisories today, as most of my flights are paid for.

The trouble is, I’ve bought several flights to several destinations, in anticipation of half of my trips having to be cancelled (I haven’t been abroad in 2.5 years now, I’m desperate!), and I don’t want to spend all day reading every page of the FCO website for 8 different countries! If there is a travel advisory against all travel / all but essential travel, will that still be on the first page of that country?

Is there anything else that anyone recommends I check?

Thanks in advance all, I really appreciate the help people give on this page!

NorthernLass

Hi Cat, how’s it going? You must be pining away by now – we got away in August and I was announcing to complete strangers around the pool that this was my first outdoor swim in TWO YEARS 🤣.

Have you had a look at this page?

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

You do have to click on each country separately but the first piece of info you come to seems to be the relevant travel advisory if there is one (e.g. Afghanistan!)

Tell us where you’re going when you get chance!

Cat

Hi @NorthernLass!

I looked at the FCO travel advice website, but was worried that there’d be something lurking on the 4th page for one country (under entry requirements or coronavirus or something) that would trip me up! Is that first piece of information all you have to worry about, in terms of insurance?

One thing that’s concerning me at the moment is the FCO website saying that Hong Kong has suspended transit passengers from the UK. I spoke to someone at Churchill who said that if I book insurance while that’s in place, if they lift the restriction I’m fine, unless they put the restriction back in place. I don’t want to risk getting on a plane believing I’m OK, only to discover 10 hours later that I’m not allowed to transit through Hong Kong anymore, and I’m not insured. I know it’s unlikely, but all the biggest problems people have had while travelling in the last 2 years have been the unlikely events with big consequences.

So far I have a trip to the Maldives at Easter (my first Rangali redemption with my best friend), transiting through Qatar, flights to Indonesia, followed by Singapore then Japan, or alternative flights to Thailand, using the same flight back from Japan, in case Indonesia and/or Singapore was looking difficult (esp after reading about Polly’s experiences in Singapore) transiting through Hong Kong with Cathay on the way out, flying back with JAL, and a third option for the summer holidays is flights to Costa Rica (I’m absolutely determined to leave the country this summer!), transiting through the USA. I’m also booking a trip to a lovely villa in Madeira in October half term with my sister and her family.

With that many countries that I could be going to, I want to make sure I’m covered for all of them – it could be very expensive if I go away and discover that I missed something!

Believe me, when I set foot on another plane, I’ll be announcing it to bloody everyone too 🤣.

BTW, not sure where you live in the North, but I can recommend many, many absolutely glorious swimming spots outside. Black Moss Pot is my current favourite for an actual swim, rather than dipping underneath a waterfall, but there are many, many others, in case you’re missing swimming outside already!

NorthernLass

That all sounds amazing, though I think I would just forget about going near Hong Kong for this year anyway! USA/Costa Rica sounds a much safer bet. I guess it’s tricky with FCO advice, I’d probably book everything refundable then check thoroughly as near as possible to departure time. Which is pretty much what I’ll be doing regardless for the foreseeable, I would imagine!

Lol, I haven’t swum outdoors in this country since I was about 12, I don’t think my constitution could take it! I’m a hour or so south of the Lakes though haven’t been for years as the traffic always seems to be horrific!

Cat

Hi Cat, how’s it going? You must be pining away by now – we got away in August and I was announcing to complete strangers around the pool that this was my first outdoor swim in TWO YEARS 🤣.

You do have to click on each country separately but the first piece of info you come to seems to be the relevant travel advisory if there is one (e.g. Afghanistan!)

Hi @NorthernLass!

I looked at the FCO travel advice website, but was worried that there’d be something lurking on the 4th page for one country (under entry requirements or coronavirus or something) that would trip me up! Is that first piece of information all you have to worry about, in terms of insurance?

One thing that’s concerning me at the moment is the FCO website saying that Hong Kong has suspended transit passengers from the UK. I spoke to someone at Churchill who said that if I book insurance while that’s in place, if they lift the restriction I’m fine, unless they put the restriction back in place. I don’t want to risk getting on a plane believing I’m OK, only to discover 10 hours later that I’m not allowed to transit through Hong Kong anymore, and I’m not insured. I know it’s unlikely, but all the biggest problems people have had while travelling in the last 2 years have been the unlikely events with big consequences.

So far I have a trip to the Maldives at Easter (my first Rangali redemption with my best friend), transiting through Qatar, flights to Indonesia, followed by Singapore then Japan, or alternative flights to Thailand, using the same flight back from Japan, in case Indonesia and/or Singapore was looking difficult (esp after reading about Polly’s experiences in Singapore) transiting through Hong Kong with Cathay on the way out, flying back with JAL, and a third option for the summer holidays is flights to Costa Rica (I’m absolutely determined to leave the country this summer!), transiting through the USA. I’m also booking a trip to a lovely villa in Madeira in October half term with my sister and her family.

With that many countries that I could be going to, I want to make sure I’m covered for all of them – it could be very expensive if I go away and discover that I missed something!

Believe me, when I set foot on another plane, I’ll be announcing it to bloody everyone too 🤣.

BTW, not sure where you live in the North, but I can recommend many, many absolutely glorious swimming spots outside. Black Moss Pot is my current favourite for an actual swim, rather than dipping underneath a waterfall, but there are many, many others, in case you’re missing swimming outside already!

Cat

Oh no, I sent a really long reply, and it hasn’t appeared! Has it gone forever?

NorthernLass

No it will have gone into moderation as you were quoting too many posts but I think it’s appeared now!

Cat

@NorthernLass – lesson learned! No more quoting posts!

Nearly everything I have booked is fully refundable. My worry is in case something goes wrong after I’ve left. I’m sure I’ll work it out.

Thanks so much!

Lyn

Hi Cat. Sorry, can’t help at all re FCO advisories, but just wanted to wish you luck that some of your options will work out!

Lady London

Hum, Cat. I think Anna’s right. Better have a US option then some choices of flights from there. I know you love Asia,but more transit=more risk. At least the lounges in HKG are unlikely to be back at full strength? So you’re not missing much? And I’m sure Polly’s experience in Singapore made a few people change their plans!

Cat

Hi @Lyn, Hi @LadyLondon!

Yes, I’d be gutted if the HK lounges were a shadow of their former selves (I rather suspect HK will be).

I rather suspect Costa Rica is my safest bet then. I’d love another trip to Costa Rica (at least another week in that wooden hut in the middle of the rainforest, methinks!) – but I think my OH has his heart set on a week in Kyoto. We’ll see if he adapts to the idea.

SimonX

Does Churchill actually cover you if the FCO advisory is placedafter you book but before you travel – most insurers dont cover this risk but a very few do (Barclays being one of them)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.