Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Covid travel International Wifi hotspot recommendation

International Wifi hotspot recommendation

• Captains_Son

Hello everyone,

I’m going to be travelling to both US & Canada in the coming months (and possibly to India too) – does anyone have a recommendation of a wireless hotspot to purchase to avoid the steadily increasing data costs internationally?

Thanks!

Carlos

Boingo which is free with amex platinum

Captains_Son

Thanks Carlos – looks like it’s only free with the Corporate cards?

I was thinking the most practical option given I have plans that include plenty of driving would be to have a 5G box – style personal hotspot?

Captains_Son

In fact – in particular was looking at the Solis Lite – but is seems impossible to get hold of one at the moment as everyone appears out-of-stock…

Andrew.

In the US and Canada, just add Starbucks to your Wifi they are ubiquitous.

Plus it’s only £9.50 (£7.60 with NHS or Corporate scheme) for full data roaming on EE for a month with a contract.

JenT

We normally buy this and hotspot off the phone that it’s in – no problem with multiple devices connecting to our phone, including laptops. https://www.usapayasyougosimcard.co.uk/

We have cheap BT Mobile SIMs so no add on for roaming available and this works perfectly.

JDB

In fact – in particular was looking at the Solis Lite – but is seems impossible to get hold of one at the moment as everyone appears out-of-stock…

They are available again, but they must still be in short supply because they have massively jacked up the price. I have two, one old and one lite; we have have used them for years – they are brilliant, incredible value and very flexible compared to faffing about with (e)sims etc and the whole family can use them. I want to buy another, so hope the prices will come down; they are still quite a bit cheaper in the US and they do run regular huge discounts for the devices and data (both 40% or more off) if you sign up to their newsletter.

Norsksaint

For several years I have used a GlocalMe and topped up with data as I have moved around the world. Works well and easy to add data etc. So would recommend.
    On the other hand, depending on the phone you have, you may find getting an e-sim is quicker and easier. When I was travelling each month to the US this is the way I did it and then had all the advantages of having a US number, and data etc.

Hope this helps

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.