Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Hilton Honors Is chasing Hilton Diamond worth it?

• Henricus 2 posts

I was interested in people’s thoughts about this. I am close to Diamond for life. But the main attraction for me as a frequent traveller to the US was the guaranteed free breakfast, particularly at Hiltons. Now of course you only get a credit which rarely gives you enough for anything other than the most mediocre start to the day. I am not so interested in upgrades and lounges are getting few and far between. I wondered if anyone had changed their p[olicy as a result?

Thanks

Harry

Brighton Belle 9 posts

I’ve been Diamond for about 3 years but the executive lounges have been cost reduced to the point it’s not worth the loyalty. My stays are mostly outside US. Bankside which I use a lot has steadily reduced the quality of its food in the lounge and I haven’t thought the few Uk lounges in other places are any good. Room rates are ticking up and quality on the slide. Probably better value now at booking at other independent properties. 30 stays is a lot of loyalty for not much return.

Peggerz 100 posts

I have been Diamond for a year and will drop to Gold in 2023.
    I took advantage of promotions during Covid to get to this level in the UK as I stayed in hotels so infrequently prior to that. I therefore haven’t really been too aware of the fall in standards in lounges or upgrades. In fact the opposite is true, I’ve had very good upgrades and reasonably good lounges or their alternatives too. Before I lose Diamond I hope to be in Asia for a couple of weeks where I hope to make the most of the status before it undoubtedly drops.

WillPS 194 posts

Depends how close is close I suppose.

I did 3 mattress runs at the end of last year to get Diamond this year. I will probably manage the 42 night with rollover threshold to keep it next year, but doubt very much I will ever get close to 60 nights in a calendar year unless corporate travel becomes a thing again.

I can believe that the executive lounge is not as good as it once was but it is still a very compelling product I think. Viable to go away for a few days, have a reasonably sized lunch and then whatever nibbles the lounge has in the evening.

RonnieB 288 posts

Depends how close is close I suppose.

I did 3 mattress runs at the end of last year to get Diamond this year. I will probably manage the 42 night with rollover threshold to keep it next year, but doubt very much I will ever get close to 60 nights in a calendar year unless corporate travel becomes a thing again.

I can believe that the executive lounge is not as good as it once was but it is still a very compelling product I think. Viable to go away for a few days, have a reasonably sized lunch and then whatever nibbles the lounge has in the evening.

+1 where there is a lounge it is a big plus being able to use it during the day with free coffee, rather than just for an hour of binge on free bozze and nibbles, which is mostly at a time when you’d be out for dinner or a show anyway.
    London still has some great lounges but disappointing to see loss of so many like Olympia, Kensington, Wembley etc.

tomb7198 21 posts

Based on my experience, it is not. I’ve found my Marriott Platinum status much more worth it (reached Titanium yesterday) …

I’ve been a diamond member for the second year now, and I don’t really get any great upgrades. So far, I’ve received one ‘junior suite’ upgrade, normally it’s just executive room or a deluxe room (the latter being normally better, as the exec lounge is an upgrade in the name only as it’s a standard room on a high floor). In terms of MB, I always get upgrades to suites (inc. ‘real’ select suites) or at least an executive/superior room at CY/AC brands.

I find executive lounges to be a bit disappointing in comparison to Marriott Bonvoy hotels. I’ve stayed at many flagship hotels in the recent months and you cannot even compare the lounges at Marriotts/Sheratons to the lounges at Hilton properties in terms of the food/drink selection. This includes several Hiltons in London, as well as in Berlin, Frankfurt and Prague (vs Marriotts/Sheratons in the same cities and in Warsaw).

Overall, I find my Marriott status to be worth much more and I’m giving up on maintaining my HH Diamond status. Currently staying at Hilton Berlin (only due to the location and the current AMEX promo), received a ‘virtual upgrade’ (executive room with a view of an office building, same specs as standard rooms), my shower is leaking, air con seems to be faulty, the executive lounge food consisted of different vegetables, pickles and Asian-style dumplings with sweet and sour sauce.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    John 1,000 posts

If you mainly stay in US Hiltons – no.

If you mainly stay in non-US Hiltons – yes if you would be close to Diamond anyway.

For me 60 nights is difficult but 30 stays (usually done as 30-35 nights) is easy.

meta 1,439 posts

My experience is almost 100% success with upgrades as Diamond. In my four years, I have only once not been upgraded and once I had to ask for it. With now automatic upgrades, it’s every time. I am not sure where people are staying, but I am not staying much in the UK or US, so my experience of lounge offering is great. Even when the lounge was closed, there were substantial benefits offered elsewhere – from free daily minibar to separate better breakfast for Diamonds. Outside US obviously the breakfast is still included. As a Gold before that I was treated well as well, but obviously not upgraded all the time.

I can’t say as much as Marriott Platinum and soon to be Titanium (we’ll see if that changes anything). I’ve always have to ask for upgrade and half of the time, it’s refused with ´fully booked’ even though it’s evident that they are not. You can also forget on upgrades on points bookings. These are always met with ‘but you booked on points and we are not giving upgrades on free stays!’ followed by me educating them how the points are actually earned! I am really keen to see does anything change from being a Titanium. It will be an interesting comparison to Hilton.

AndyUK101 49 posts

I’d say yes, on top of the listed benefits I find hotels are usually quite amenable to other requests for Diamond members

Over my last few stays, i’ve had some very late checkouts (6pm) restaurant reservations freed up, free transfers to other resorts, several multiple category upgrades, early check-in and priority for a room when other guests (who had arrived before me) were waiting

Difficult to put a value on these and not guaranteed but I do find the more premium Hilton brands look after the Diamond members where possible

Curio collection ones a different matter!

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,198 posts

It also depends what else you would do with stays. Gold + decent status with someone else beats Diamond with Hilton and nothing else, I think.

KevinC 76 posts

Now we’ve paid our Conrad Rangali bill I’ve found myself under $200 away from diamond. Being gold I had no idea of the sped requirement for diamond and I if I had I would have bought something from the minibar to take me over the line.

Presumably Hilton status members still get free breakfast in Canada. Am I right in thinking it’s just the US that’s excluded?

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.