Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Is Curve spending safe?

• M 29 posts

Hello, I am going on holiday shortly and would like to link my new Barclaycard Avios Mastercard to Curve to spend abroad to help with the sign up bonus.
    I am not planning to do anything dodgy, only actual retailer spend (no cash withdrawals, no ernie, etc.). Anyone had any problems in that scenario?
    Thanks.

Rui N. 831 posts

How on Earth do you expect people to know the answer to that in a card that is 1 month old?!

orudge 9 posts

I’ve been using Curve since day 1 of receiving my Barclaycard Avios Plus card (in part to compensate for the lack of Apple Pay), no issues for me. Haven’t done anything stupid with it though (cash recycling or trying to pay off other credit cards or whatever), just used for genuine spending.

I haven’t attempted ATM withdrawals with it (which I do do occasionally if I need physical cash), but given I have another credit card that I can get cashback on (with no interest charged) when using Curve for ATM withdrawals, I’m happy to stick with that one.

dst87 264 posts

Nobody can say for sure this early on. I _hope_ Barclaycard don’t take a dim view of it, as it’s the primary way I’ve been using the card in-store due to the lack of first-party Apple Pay support.

This approach was suggested by Rob in another thread but of course if Barclaycard suddenly decide they don’t like it there’s probably not much we can do. I guess we’ll find out…

M 29 posts

How on Earth do you expect people to know the answer to that in a card that is 1 month old?!

Well if 10 people responded with “oh no they cancelled my card” then that would be useful to know 😉

NorthernLass 7,573 posts

Has anyone used it at an atm yet? Just wondering if it’s as obliging as its sister card.

KenC 19 posts

Well, I did a test withdrawal of £10 on my Curve in London about 3 weeks ago. It went through OK and I got 15 Avios points on it.

Spurred on by this, I have, in the last hour, withdrawn 1,000,000 Ugandan Shillings in Kampala. Thats £227 including local bank charge. It’s gone through OK and is sitting in “Pending” on my Barclaycard. Hopefully, I’ll get my 340 Avios. When I did the London withdrawal, it was recorded on my Barclaycard account as “Services. Not Elsewhere C”. However, for my Uganda withdrawal the charge on my Barclaycard shows “CRV, Kampala Road ATM”, though that’s not the final designation which only seems to appear after the transaction is no longer “Pending”. Let’s hope it’s all OK.

M 29 posts

Well, I did a test withdrawal of £10 on my Curve in London about 3 weeks ago. It went through OK and I got 15 Avios points on it.

Spurred on by this, I have, in the last hour, withdrawn 1,000,000 Ugandan Shillings in Kampala. Thats £227 including local bank charge. It’s gone through OK and is sitting in “Pending” on my Barclaycard. Hopefully, I’ll get my 340 Avios. When I did the London withdrawal, it was recorded on my Barclaycard account as “Services. Not Elsewhere C”. However, for my Uganda withdrawal the charge on my Barclaycard shows “CRV, Kampala Road ATM”, though that’s not the final designation which only seems to appear after the transaction is no longer “Pending”. Let’s hope it’s all OK.

It kinda reads as if you travelled to Kampala just to test this 😀 That would have been a story!

NorthernLass 7,573 posts

1m shillings – what denomination are the notes?! That reminds me of when I used to go and stay with family in Rome and they still used the lira!

PeteM 714 posts

I’m literally putting all my spend on this card through Curve as there’s no Apple Pay and 2FA doesn’t work on my card… Let’s see what happens!

slidey 291 posts

Are cash advance charges visibile right away on this card or are they only visible when the statement is generated? I’m gonna need to get get some foreign currency from an atm next week and was planning on using this via curve but obvs dont want to if it will trigger fees.

KenC 19 posts

1m shillings – what denomination are the notes?! That reminds me of when I used to go and stay with family in Rome and they still used the lira!

Notes I was given were 20,000. Unfortunately the wad is so thick I can’t now fold my wallet. We also withdrew 20,000,000 (not on Curve this time). That was was approx, 9 inches thick.

jayjay 74 posts

I’ve been using it with Curve for a few days with no problems. Weirdly I cant see any Avios being collected for these transactions..

iamlost 108 posts

I’ve been using it with Curve for a few days with no problems. Weirdly I cant see any Avios being collected for these transactions..

So definitely not “no problems” then… I’ve started using mine today with Curve purely to get Apple Pay support – but now I’m worried the spend won’t count to the SUB. Any other data points from people?

iamlost 108 posts

Are cash advance charges visibile right away on this card or are they only visible when the statement is generated? I’m gonna need to get get some foreign currency from an atm next week and was planning on using this via curve but obvs dont want to if it will trigger fees.

I’m a Curve newbie (well, I’m not, but they blocked me in 2016 and I didn’t bother unblocking until I got this card now) — if Curve pass on the transaction/merchant codes to the underlying bank, wouldn’t they know it’s a cash advance and charge the cash fee as normal?

PeteM 714 posts

I’ve started using mine today with Curve purely to get Apple Pay support – but now I’m worried the spend won’t count to the SUB. Any other data points from people?

Every Curve transaction has awarded Avios for me and I’ve hit the bonus, which is in my BAEC account already.

Cloud 21 posts

I’ve started using mine today with Curve purely to get Apple Pay support – but now I’m worried the spend won’t count to the SUB. Any other data points from people?

Every Curve transaction has awarded Avios for me and I’ve hit the bonus, which is in my BAEC account already.

Same here, all curve transaction went through alright, with Avios awarded and transferred to BAEC.

ahow35 12 posts

Just on the back of this thread with a similar question. Does anyone have any experience so far of linking the card to Revolut? Any cash advance fees, avios still rewarded etc?

NorthernLass 7,573 posts

There were a couple of predictions recently that Revolut usage would incur charges but I can’t recall if anyone actually came back and confirmed whether or not this is true.

rum 275 posts

Same here – Curve transactions are earning points just like regular card transactions. Haven’t tried doing an ATM withdrawal with Curve just yet, but will be doing that soon.

M 29 posts

Lol, I just tried adding my card to Curve and obviously it does not work. I tried like 30 variations of my name and address spelling and nothing works. Any tips?

PeteM 714 posts

Lol, I just tried adding my card to Curve and obviously it does not work. I tried like 30 variations of my name and address spelling and nothing works. Any tips?

Does your 3DS work more broadly? See my suggestion on that thread on here.

Rui N. 831 posts

I’ve added my OH card to my Curve using my name and it worked fine…

Gary 293 posts

Anyone tried if the tax collection service is ok?

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Have you done a chip & pin transaction first?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.