Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Virgin Flying Club Is Virgin Atlantic Silver status reductive?

• BajiNahid 169 posts

Hi there,

I just qualified for silver and I am not sure if there are many benefits to silver status with Virgin compared to other airlines. With United, I am silver and I managed to get free checked bag allowance on a basic economy ticket, free seating selection at any time, preferred seats and upgrade availability and priority. Along with all the other standard check in, lounge and boarding enhancements.

I don’t seem to see much of this with Virgin atlantic to be honest, so would like to hear from other Silver member’s if they find it of much benefit when flying VS or other Sky team alliance partners etc.

SGJNI 69 posts

You get lounge access on United with Silver???????

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,207 posts

United Silver would get you lounge access on United flights – it’s how Star works (Silver gets lounge only with the issuing airline).

Once Virgin joins SkyTeam, you’d have Elite as VS Silver which only gets you:

Priority reservation wait list (when fares permit)
    Preferred seating
    Priority check-in counters
    Priority boarding or at leisure
    Extra baggage allowance

oneworld is the only alliance where mid-tier status is worth it (ie gets you a lounge).

BajiNahid 169 posts

Yes only with united

Guernsey Globetrotter 588 posts

From the perspective of a points collector for redemption flights, silver is the sweet spot with Virgin as you get to use their vouchers as a true 2-4-1 with that status. Also, it only takes two such long haul flights a year to retain Silver and you get tier points on rewards flights too. If you’re travelling J class you get Clubhouse access, extra checked bags and seat selection anyway so no complaints here …

kai 77 posts

Yes only with united

That’s untrue. United Silver doesn’t have access to United Clubs.

dougzz99 623 posts

I don’t think United Silver gets you in a lounge regardless of flight type. Remember US airlines operate lounges largely on a paid membership basis, and you’ll typically never get lounge access on a status basis, other than international flights and a few premium transcontinental like Newark/Lax, and that’s at higher status level than silver.

Matt 323 posts

I am United Silver via Marriott and I’ve never seen lounge access mentioned. Lufthansa Silver would get you lounge access on their group flights, but not all *A scheme’s are the same.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.