Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios I’ve already got my first statement!

• can 506 posts

This is just beyond odd.
    I’ve applied on Monday, didn’t get immediate approval.
    I saw on the app that I am approved. But I still haven’t received the card. So the card is not activated.

But today I got my first statement!
    It only has the £20 fee in it.

It is funny that the bank who invented the ATM machines apparently hired a high schooler to design their reward credit card system.

NorthernLass 7,573 posts

Hmm, £20 for a card you can’t even use yet – I’m getting less and less enthusiastic about this!

Aston100 1,388 posts

I got the email this morning too.
    This is the first contact since I successfully applied on Monday late afternoon. I didn’t receive a confirmation email or anything else at the time.
    As I’m not already a customer, I don’t have the app, so no idea about fees being charged yet.

Aston100 1,388 posts

Got an acceptance email this evening, advising my card and PIN are on their way.

dst87 264 posts

Classic legacy bank. Tech isn’t their strong suit!

Terrible security for the login system, and no way to sign in until after receiving your card.

The modern approach would be to let you start using the card via Apple Pay immediately!

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Watch out, in 2 days there’ll be a letter charging a fine and interest for not paying the £20 fee.

harley 109 posts

Same issue, applied on monday got the tenative wait 5 day popup. No emails or contact since but this morning got my statement is ready to view email ( cant access as dont have app signup details yet)

dougzz99 623 posts

Terrible security for the login system, and no way to sign in until after receiving your card.

The modern approach would be to let you start using the card via Apple Pay immediately!

My favourite is the 8 digit login code, that you get from the app that requires only a 5 digit code.

can 506 posts

Exactly. I’ve got the card, activated it, used it, but still cannot change the PIN from the app and cannot even add it to my ApplePay.

Welcome back to 90s…

dst87 264 posts

Exactly. I’ve got the card, activated it, used it, but still cannot change the PIN from the app and cannot even add it to my ApplePay.

Welcome back to 90s…

Oh dear. 🤦‍♂️ I hope we don’t have another Creation on our hands. Nobody can be that bad… can they? Apple Pay is a must though, so I really hope they get that sorted quickly. I don’t have my card yet, so I’ve got this fun to come.

Another surprise to me was the (unless I missed it) inability to add a supplementary cardholder during the application.

can 506 posts

Welcome back to 90s…

Oh dear. 🤦‍♂️ I hope we don’t have another Creation on our hands. Nobody can be that bad… can they? Apple Pay is a must though, so I really hope they get that sorted quickly. I don’t have my card yet, so I’ve got this fun to come.

Another surprise to me was the (unless I missed it) inability to add a supplementary cardholder during the application.

Plus you cannot see your avios balance even though there is a link for that. It gives an error message. Hurray!

rum 275 posts

Apple Pay is indeed essential.
    I cancelled my HSBC Premier WE card (my only non-Amex rewards card) at the weekend in anticipation for my Barclays Avios card (which still hasn’t arrived). So I had to resort to using my Chase debit card (via Apple Pay)… oh well, at least that’s 1% cashback.

CarpalTravel 363 posts

Why do you find that Apple Pay is essential? Not arguing or being critical, genuinely interested in case I am missing out on something!

I know I’ll sound petty with this, but I only ever use it if I find myself without my wallet, which is very rare. I usually avoid it wherever possible as Apple hoard enough money without my contributing further. Having worked B2B with them, I know what they and their army of lawyers are like, so I am not their biggest fan.

rum 275 posts

It’s just so much more convenient than carrying around a bag of cards, having to remember their respective PIN numbers and having to actually take them out. It’s so much easier taking out a phone and using face/touch ID to authenticate the payment. It’s one method of authentication for all my cards and the retailer doesn’t end up seeing my card details every time I use it. So less personal data is exchanged with the retailer.

2ilent8cho 17 posts

I use Apple Pay, but does not bother me if it does not work with Barclaycard as I will have my BA Premium Amex too which does and I will have 10K targets to reach on both cards. Surely even if the Barclaycard is going to be your main Avios card now it makes sense to keep at least the free BA Amex card as there is occasionally bonus Avios offers to be had and does work with Apple Pay.

CarpalTravel 363 posts

It’s just so much more convenient than carrying around a bag of cards, having to remember their respective PIN numbers and having to actually take them out. It’s so much easier taking out a phone and using face/touch ID to authenticate the payment. It’s one method of authentication for all my cards and the retailer doesn’t end up seeing my card details every time I use it. So less personal data is exchanged with the retailer.

Thanks for taking the time to explain, I appreciate it. The security bit is particularly interesting, whilst it was some time ago, a bloke on the till at a Shell garage cloned my card (along with a large number of others it turned out, it was reported in the local news) and AP would prevent that. Not even sure if it is possible now but definitely something to be considered.

I still remember the very first time I used AP, at a Costa (it was quite new then). The lady at the till looked at me as if I was out on day release, my apparently (as she thought) waving my phone near her.

rum 275 posts

Thanks for taking the time to explain, I appreciate it. The security bit is particularly interesting, whilst it was some time ago, a bloke on the till at a Shell garage cloned my card (along with a large number of others it turned out, it was reported in the local news) and AP would prevent that. Not even sure if it is possible now but definitely something to be considered.

I would also add that as a result of using Apple Pay, I am not asking for sales receipts these days. Because I can trust Apple Pay (to some extent) to charge my card with the correct amount, if I use Apple Pay for any given transaction, I don’t tend to check my receipts against my statement each month.

I still remember the very first time I used AP, at a Costa (it was quite new then). The lady at the till looked at me as if I was out on day release, my apparently (as she thought) waving my phone near her.

A lot of that has changed especially since the pandemic – I have had similar looks the first few times I used it. It still happens in some locations whilst on holiday 🙂 .

Rui N. 831 posts

Surely even if the Barclaycard is going to be your main Avios card now it makes sense to keep at least the free BA Amex card as there is occasionally bonus Avios offers to be had and does work with Apple Pay.

No it doesn’t. Much better to cancel all Amex BA cards and get the sign-up bonus every 2 years on the BAPP.
    If you want Amex offers get one of the other cards (including the MR-earning ones if you really really want Avios).

CatchFlightsNotFeelings 34 posts

I use Apple Pay for the tube when i commute to work. I already have my phone in my hand so rather than open up my handbag and get cards out and then put it back, using my phone makes things a lot easier, and less likely to drop all my cards on the floor or have my handbag spill out in the process. Also i like apple pay for if i want to pop to the shops after the gym, as i dont take a bag or anything when i go, just my phone and key.

dst87 264 posts

Why do you find that Apple Pay is essential? Not arguing or being critical, genuinely interested in case I am missing out on something!

Late to the party here, but in addition to the added security I find it the most convenient payment method via Apple Watch.

I can pay with basically no limit (unlike contactless, though admittedly that’s £100 now) and I know I’m not going to be asked for my PIN (which I might not remember given how infrequently I use it and then have to fumble about looking it up in 1Password). Contactless requiring a PIN after so many transactions or so much value of spend is an annoying (albeit necessary) limit that always seems to strike at the least convenient time.

rum 275 posts

Late to the party here, but in addition to the added security I find it the most convenient payment method via Apple Watch.

I can pay with basically no limit (unlike contactless, though admittedly that’s £100 now) and I know I’m not going to be asked for my PIN (which I might not remember given how infrequently I use it and then have to fumble about looking it up in 1Password). Contactless requiring a PIN after so many transactions or so much value of spend is an annoying (albeit necessary) limit that always seems to strike at the least convenient time.

Thanks for this. I have long considered if getting an Apple Watch is worth it, but you’ve given me several tempting ideas!

CarpalTravel 363 posts

I would also add that as a result of using Apple Pay, I am not asking for sales receipts these days. Because I can trust Apple Pay (to some extent) to charge my card with the correct amount, if I use Apple Pay for any given transaction, I don’t tend to check my receipts against my statement each month.

That bit I do like, with both Google and Apple pay I get a notification when using the card. I find it very reassuring and handy when I do get a charge appear, has allowed me to cancel many an accidental re-order/subscription!

When I had the watch I must admit, that a few times was very handy! Wearing gloves etc.. But the watch itself I hated, I became really hung up about closing my rings and had a year long streak that I didn’t want to break. I forced myself out for walks when ill and became so anxious about remembering to stand for a few minutes each hour that even 3months after selling it I still got a moment of panic that I hadn’t stood up during the last hour.

I don’t consider myself particularly competitive, fragile or too easily hung up on stuff like that, but the Apple Watch really got to me, especially with its ridiculous escalating monthly exercise challenges that became almost a full time occupation to achieve. So for me it was a horrendous bit of tech that I was delighted to get rid of. I bought my Fenix 6 Pro (particularly with it’s ability to store Spotify playlists) and have never looked back. Sorry, I have gone a bit off topic there!!

Olly 242 posts

For those of you that have a Curve card, you can add your Barclaycard to that, and then use that via Apple Pay. That’s the workaround I’ll be using, with the added advantage of ‘go back in time’ in case you had the wrong underlying card selected.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.