Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Covid travel Japan in Autumn – options for those booked to fly

Japan in Autumn – options for those booked to fly

• Jill Kinkell

Yup…just got my 12 March 23 Tokyo flight cancelled. Went in to MMB and did the cancellation so cash, Avios and 241 will be returned. Saves me losing £70 ! Was rebooked on an earlier flight, but as cruise was cancelled, had to decide on a land trip or cancel completely. Decision made%,

PeteM

We have had our return on BA6 cancelled on 07 Jan 2023 and we’ve been moved to BA8 – useful, I suppose, as it gives us a few more options if Christmas becomes unfeasible due to all the Japanese restrictions.

yonasl

Oh wow… when I saw my 6th Nov flight being cancelled I was not surprised but crazy to see they are cancelling all the way to March 2023! (It seems they are cancelling at least 6 months worth of flights then)

slidey

I moved mine to next spring. The most surprising thing was it was movable via MMB which saved me from having to talk to the liars on the phone who wouldve said it was outside of ticket validity and issued an involuntary refund.

Nadeshka

Well I bit the bullet and cancelled, using the vouchers and avios to book a trip to Florida which is certainly more toddler friendly. We’re now less than 8 weeks out to our flight and it feels extremely unlikely to change in that timeframe.
    Hopefully BA are flying to Tokyo and perhaps even Osaka (our original booking!) again by the time my two are old enough to appreciate that holiday.

For all the talk of wanting to bring back tourism to boost economy they’re not doing anything practical. What made us choose the US in the end was the huge amounts of availability and the lack of testing/restrictions.

Gavin454

My Jan/Feb flights were cancelled and rebooked from BA5/6 onto BA7/8 on the same days. However, I’ll sit on it for now and see what happens with opening up (or not). Gives me the option to refund later and not lose £35. Plus potentially, if the trip is able to go ahead, then I may rebook onto JAL which is an option by phone according to Flyertalk.

Presumably, BA are not expecting a big increase of demand going into 2023.

yonasl

Our return LHR-HND with JAL/BA in Oct/Nov 2022 was cancelled a few weeks ago. This is a BA holiday we booked a long time ago and yet BA had no problem to rebook it to May 2023 (all fights with JAL PE).

To be clear: this is a cash BA holiday so no Avios involved. Hope this helps those that could be told “you are rebooking more than a year from the day you bought your tickets so only a refund is posible”. Also cash prices were just slightly higher (maybe £1,600 per person instead of £1,400 which x4 does make a difference but for BA may not be such an issue)

yorkieflyer

News today that even St Helena is lifting the 7 day quarantine and welcoming tourists with flights from Joburg doubling to weekly!
    Any news from that isolated archipelago out east? Nope nada

The real Swiss Tony

Our return LHR-HND with JAL/BA in Oct/Nov 2022 was cancelled a few weeks ago. This is a BA holiday we booked a long time ago and yet BA had no problem to rebook it to May 2023 (all fights with JAL PE).

To be clear: this is a cash BA holiday so no Avios involved. Hope this helps those that could be told “you are rebooking more than a year from the day you bought your tickets so only a refund is posible”. Also cash prices were just slightly higher (maybe £1,600 per person instead of £1,400 which x4 does make a difference but for BA may not be such an issue)

I suspect you’re benefitting from the different rules that apply to package holidays here, rather than it being a precedent for changing the reservation to more than a year after the original booking date on a stand alone flight.

meta

News today that even St Helena is lifting the 7 day quarantine and welcoming tourists with flights from Joburg doubling to weekly!
    Any news from that isolated archipelago out east? Nope nada

They are still “considering and will
    make a decision at a later date based on infection rates at home and abroad”. 🙄

JDB

I suspect you’re benefitting from the different rules that apply to package holidays here, rather than it being a precedent for changing the reservation to more than a year after the original booking date on a stand alone flight.

You don’t really get any additional benefits for booking a package, save ATOL protection if the operator goes bust. You have UK/EC261 rights for your flights, such that you could reroute those for a later date, but that ‘free’ deferral doesn’t apply to your hotel or other package elements so they would be repriced. BA Holidays is quite good in this respect, generally offering more than statutory rights – if a flight is cancelled they will usually rebook -3/+14 days although they have no obligation to do so and wear any additional cost. Outside that, they will reprice but will usually absorb a degree of extra cost, not specified, but maybe up to £250 which is quite generous.

yonasl

You don’t really get any additional benefits for booking a package, save ATOL protection if the operator goes bust. You have UK/EC261 rights for your flights, such that you could reroute those for a later date, but that ‘free’ deferral doesn’t apply to your hotel or other package elements so they would be repriced. BA Holidays is quite good in this respect, generally offering more than statutory rights – if a flight is cancelled they will usually rebook -3/+14 days although they have no obligation to do so and wear any additional cost. Outside that, they will reprice but will usually absorb a degree of extra cost, not specified, but maybe up to £250 which is quite generous.

If the original tickets where GBP 1,200 the new ones may be 1,500 now. Times 4 people that is quite a difference but not a crazy one. We also got both legs in JAL vs outbound JAL/inbound BA.

I know that some have been told you cannot change tickets past the 12 months from the moment you bought them so just to confirm:

– BA holiday bought in Jan 2022 for Oct 2022
    – In August 2022 return flight in Nov 2022 cancelled
    – Got rebooking to May 2023

(Maybe they counted 12 months from Oct 2022 to May 2023? I do not know but they made no trouble at all – just informed me that I would need to pay the difference in price for any hotels as booking was for flights and the 2 last nights – a good trick to get the whole thing packaged as a BA Holiday and only have a £300 deposit)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.