Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Other frequent flyer schemes KLM Flying Blue Status with Qantas?

• Jan M 58 posts

Hello,

I’m flying to Australia for work this November. I saw that I can earn KLM miles and XP on Qantas flights (which is good because it will really help me keep Gold status). Not clear from the site if Qantas recognizes KLM Flying Blue status though? Will I get lounge access, etc.? Trying to work out how to use this flight to keep my status because I’ll need to do a points run otherwise.

Jan

John 1,000 posts

No, the only benefits are luggage and seat choice for QFF elites when flying KLM.

Lyn 188 posts

I would imagine you would get priority check-in and boarding in addition to the luggage and seating benefits John has already mentioned, but not lounge access.

Here are the benefits for Qantas frequent flyers when flying KLM from the Qantas web-site. Your KLM benefits flying Qantas are likely to be equivalent, just the other way round

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/frequent-flyer/partners/klm.html?tabId=tier-recognition

Lyn 188 posts

I should add that Qantas frequent flyers don’t earn status credits flying KLM, just points. So it seems unlikely you would earn KLM tier points flying Qantas, but surely the KLM Flying Blue web-site would include this if you did earn them?

Lyn 188 posts

Another thought. Would your Qantas flights to Australia be available to book as KLM code-share flights? In that case, you might earn KLM tier points.

Jan M 58 posts

I should add that Qantas frequent flyers don’t earn status credits flying KLM, just points. So it seems unlikely you would earn KLM tier points flying Qantas, but surely the KLM Flying Blue web-site would include this if you did earn them?

Thanks! The Flying Blue website seems to suggest that I can earn XP was well on flights that are ticketed by Qantas, but I think AF/KLM need to be listed as a Codeshare? https://www.flyingblue.us/en/earn-spend/partners/airline/airline-qantas-airways/presentation

The problem with booking through KLM is that they insist on routing me via Amsterdam when I really just wanted the direct London to Perth flight.

Lyn 188 posts

I should perhaps say that I replied based on familiarity with Qantas FF rather than with Flying Blue, and assumptions of reciprocity between them.

However, I have just taken a look at the Flying Blue link you posted, and it looks as if the reciprocity may not be as strict as I thought. Reading that, I would expect you to earn XP points even on a Qantas marketed and operated flight, not just a KLM code-share. I tried putting London – Perth into the Flying Blue “Flight type simulator” and it seems to accepts it as a direct flight of the “Long 3” type. Unlike Qantas, it doesn’t mention any code share restrictions.

So you might indeed earn XP points, as you hope. Good luck! I don’t think Qantas would give you access to their lounges though, unfortunately.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.