Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Housekeeping Less sexism in articles please

• Rach 20 posts

I’ve seen several sexist comments in articles and in comments. It’s really off putting in articles and should be better moderated in comments. This will probably be deleted but I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels this way.

NorthernLass 7,532 posts

@Rach, have you got some examples? I haven’t noticed any recently but I don’t read all the articles!

Rach 20 posts

The article about the new Finnair seat.

Roberto 281 posts

I dont see it.
    I read it again and if you’re talking about curling up on sofas then I think you’re talking poppycock but maybe me as a 60 year old straight guy with thick skin just does not see the world through your enlightened eyes

Rach 20 posts

I’d say it’s not just your skin that’s thick if you fail to see the sexism in that piece.

Lady London 2,040 posts

@Rach, have you got some examples? I haven’t noticed any recently but I don’t read all the articles!

What did I miss?

Cranzle 272 posts

I think we need less woke comments.

dst87 264 posts

I think this rather pointlessly gendered comment of seating positions on the Finnair article this morning.

I think that it is a very feminine seat, to the extent that it works best in the sort of typical seating positions that women are more likely than men to adopt (you rarely see a man curled up on a sofa, for example)

Instead of saying that the seat is more comfortable for anyone who wants to curl up, that position was needlessly assigned to women.

ianwardz 42 posts

sexism – prejudice or discrimination based on sex or gender

That comment was not sexist.
    Please stop trying to be offended by everything and anything.

There are far more important things going on in this world to get upset about.

Roberto 281 posts

I’d say it’s not just your skin that’s thick if you fail to see the sexism in that piece.

In order to insult me I must first value your opinion.
    Nice try though Rach..

Rach 20 posts

@roberta thanks for the props. Means a lot.

Rach 20 posts

It’s only bigots who think woke is a bad thing.

Supergers49 225 posts

Other than the “curling up” assigned to women, do you have other examples Rach?

It’s a significant accusation to make, “several sexist comments in articles and articles”, one that really ought to be substantiated. It might also help the moderators, in their future activities, if you provided the examples.

Without backing up your statement, it does risk being interpreted as hyperbole.

jj 520 posts

@Rach, are you aware of the irony of using words like ‘bigot’ and ‘thick’ whilst complaining about a lack of sensitivity in articles?

Rach 20 posts

I’ve given one example of an article. Several other commenters on the piece also took exception to it. The nastiness that came back in other comments is further evidence (e.g. Shhh the men are talking).

I’m afraid I haven’t recorded and indexed every sexist or bigoted comment on this site so I’m unable to list them all for you. But one example should he enough. Counter my assertion with evidence if you want.

NorthernLass 7,532 posts

It’s only bigots who think woke is a bad thing.

Well that’s a sweeping, generalising and very dismissive comment! There’s a lot of good in some “woke” attitudes but it’s just lazy and inaccurate to dismiss anyone who doesn’t agree with you as a bigot.

Having said that, this is a rather odd comment from the Finnair review:

“I think that it is a very feminine seat, to the extent that it works best in the sort of seating positions that women are more likely than men to adopt for anatomical reasons”

I don’t know the extent of Rob’s familiarity with individual female anatomy but it perhaps presumes more than it ideally should!

@Rach
    , my PhD thesis dealt in part with historical attitudes towards women so I consider that I do know what I’m talking about when it comes to these issues. There are some very abrasive commenters on this site but there are far more deserving milieus with which to take umbrage than a travel blog!

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    dst87 264 posts

I can only speak for myself, but I don’t think it’s about being offended. The language just isn’t very inclusive to anyone who doesn’t experience life through the stereotype described.

I like HFP and using descriptions and phrasing that is needlessly gendered risks alienating some members of the audience. Look how much discussion has emerged around this one silly comment rather than the remainder of the informative article.

Actually, the article would become more informative. Rob has relied on the reader’s interpretation of “feminine seating positions” and doesn’t describe what he means by that. Moreso in the edited version:

I think that it is a very feminine seat, to the extent that it works best in the sort of seating positions that women are more likely than men to adopt for anatomical reasons.

What, specifically, does that mean? Is there a thigh width issue making it harder to sit open-legged? Is there no space to cross ones legs? I don’t think this description conveys any meaningful information.

Whatsthepoint 121 posts

I too, found that statement rather odd and unnecessary but to raise thread about ‘Sexism in articles’, the plural, based on this single example, would seem to be a slight over-reaction? Are there other examples?

CarpalTravel 363 posts

@Rach, are you aware of the irony of using words like ‘bigot’ and ‘thick’ whilst complaining about a lack of sensitivity in articles?

I personally would like to raise the issue of nastiness in comments please.

I am able to provide two examples straight away…

Rach 20 posts

Thanks I’ll be the judge of where and when I decide to raise issues. I haven’t “taken umbrage” BTW. Great about your PhD thesis. But worth looking into the meaning and history of the term “woke” before using it or commenting on whether there is good in such attitudes

NorthernLass 7,532 posts

I’ve looked into extensively – not been much else to do for the past couple of years! A lot of people who consider themselves to be “woke” are in fact plain wrong on many issues; they have a tendency to pronounce on things that they themselves haven’t researched in any great depth. Just because someone believes something, it doesn’t actually mean that they’re right.

Rach 20 posts

By all means start a thread about nastiness in comments. But please make sure you include every example, including the dismissive reference to my objection as “poppycock” and the comments on the article to me and others who pointed out the stereotyping.

NorthernLass 7,532 posts

By all means start a thread about nastiness in comments. But please make sure you include every example, including the dismissive reference to my objection as “poppycock” and the comments on the article to me and others who pointed out the stereotyping.

As a relative veteran of HFP I’ve been on the receiving end of many such comments! As a linguist I’m rather intrigued that people still use terms like “poppycock”, probably indicative of the demographic. I just find HFP an odd place for culture wars to be raging. My day job is teaching about Freedom of Expression so I have a very broad view of the topic anyway.

Supergers49 225 posts

But one example should he enough. Counter my assertion with evidence if you want.

One example clearly doesn’t back up your statement that there have been several and if you are not prepared to back up such a statement, then I’m not going to waste my time countering your point.

iheartarbitrage 32 posts

I’m with @rach on this.

HfP has long had tone issues, and if you fall outside of the white/weathly/male/london based target audience it won’t take too long to realise this.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.