Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club LHR – BKK cancelled. Anyone else?

• boffin 4 posts

I’ve just had my LHR – BKK flights cancelled.

I booked them last December and was due to fly out this November and return this December

Has anyone else on here had this happen to them?

Apologies if this is on another thread. I joined today and this is my first post, so forgive the newbie.

markdhayes 57 posts

Yep we knew the route had gone. I’m
    Trying to get through and hopefully get rebooked on to Qatar. Let’s hope they don’t put a fight.

collarbone666 6 posts

Yes, me too. Due to fly 1-23 December. Had email tonight, went on MMB and tried to book alternative flights. Tried numerous alternatives but nothing available apparently.

markdhayes 57 posts

The whole route is cancelled so you’ll need to call up and ask for a reroute.

collarbone666 6 posts

Oh, ok thanks, just assumed they would show alternative airlines, obviously not.

Aston100 1,374 posts

Is this a permanent cancellation of the route?
    if so, that only leaves Singapore as a reliable destination in SEA right? (not counting HK right now).

Liviu 4 posts

Called BA call center and they’ve told me they can’t offer alternative flights for now as they do not have agreements in place with Qatar or Finair for now and call in few weeks. And then the lady pretty much hang up to me 🤬 Has anyone managed to rebook with Qatar?

• This reply was modified 54 years, 3 months ago by .
    markdhayes 57 posts

That’s not true. You need to call back as frustrating as it is. Rhys was rebooked into a Qatar flight when his BKK was cancelled so it is possible and should be easy for them as they are both oneworld.

Liviu 4 posts

Thanks. Do you know if he had the normal commercial team help him? The exec club team said they can only boom reward flights with Qatar and Finair. Which obviously none are available.

Liviu 4 posts

Called again (3rd time). They pushed for refund, I said is within my rights to get a reroute, they said no availability, I said there is plenty when I check Qatar website. At which point agent said he can’t comment and I should raise a complain if I don’t like it.

Aston100 1,374 posts

Breathtaking, the lies that British airways customer services give out.

AJA 1,069 posts

Thanks. Do you know if he had the normal commercial team help him? The exec club team said they can only boom reward flights with Qatar and Finair. Which obviously none are available.

That’s BS too. Firstly BAEC team can rebook any flight or if they can’t should transfer you to the commercial team to do the booking and secondly even if your original booking to BKK was an Avios booking since BA cancelled the flight you are entitled to a reroute at your convenience and do not need reward seat availability. There just needs to be seats for sale in the same class as your original booking eg if a reward flight in Club you only need there to be seats for sale in Club and you are entitled to them.

Since BA has taken the commercial decision not to fly to BKK you are entitled to reroute on any airline flying to the same destination. In practice you need to give BA the opportunity to rebook you but if they won’t you need to get them to say so then you can buy any ticket in the same cabin on any other airline and BA will have to pay. Whatever you do do not accept a refund!

John 999 posts

Yes lots of BA agents talk rubbish.

Called BA call center and they’ve told me they can’t offer alternative flights for now as they do not have agreements in place with Qatar or Finair for now and call in few weeks.

That’s correct. Yes ideally, BA would come to an agreement with QR/AY *before* cancelling their own flights, so that the moment they cancel they can already offer a rebooking.

But either they are incompetent and didn’t think to do this, or they deliberately did not do this because they want to persuade as many people as possible to take a refund, then rebook the rest later.

I expect BA will sort out some reasonable reroute and publish a policy for the call centre to rebook, in a few weeks.

Yes theoretically you can buy any comparable flight you like and MCOL BA right now, but it may not go your way if by the time you get to court BA is ready to offer a rerouting. If you’re going to do that I would wait a month or so.

ZorTM 8 posts

I received an email from BA yesterday notifying of cancellation of my AVIOS 2-4-1 booking (Club World) for travel to BKK in Nov. I rang today to reroute but apparently they said they could not reroute to commercial seats and there is not a single redemption seat – including QR, CC, JL or Finnair. I have refused a refund and they have asked me to call again next week as the agreement with QR might be extended for travels beyond October.

What can I do if they can’t find a reroute at all as I have already arranged hotels and forward travels in Thailand?

eskimoboy 14 posts

Yeah I had the same issue when I phoned last night. Could get a refund but companion voucher is almost expired and I need to get to Bangkok as am moving overseas! So refund absolutely no use. The guy was helpful but said there was nothing that could be done at then moment and suggested I phone back in a few days or next week.

BA cancelled these flights months ago so they should have had policies in place. I’m going to stand as firm on this i can as a refund is basically no use to me and I want them to get me to BKK whether with Qatar, JAL or Finnair. Am flexible on dates so hopefully that helps

nick1988 18 posts

We’re in the same boat too, no dice from BA on the phone last night or this morning. Only option was a full refund, said to call back in a few weeks. Couldn’t book us on any other flight to anywhere. Frustrating that we book these flights a year in advance and they’re not willing to do anything but cancel them.

shilly 113 posts

I just posted on flight cancellation forum so please look there for advise but suffice to say I had the same email re cancellation yesterday for our flights to Bangkok, phoned last night and rerouted with Qatar no problem, very helpful agent. Mine was on a 241 as well. Can’t understand why they are saying they can’t do it for some people. I called 020 3250 0145 number if that helps?

jumpfrog 23 posts

I am on an Amex 2 for 1 Jan 23. I went on chat this morning and re routed on Qatar no problem. All flights showing in MMB. Just HUACA

LB 26 posts

I had a similar experience just now except I was told I couldn’t swap to Qatar due to an agreement not allowing bookings after October. I chose to be booked on Finnair as it was offered as an alternative. To be honest, the flight times were better. It probably took 30 minutes in a queue then 20 minutes to sort. I’m happy with the result. This was using a 241 voucher.

nick1988 18 posts

Just got off the phone with them, they’ll change zones if needed or they’re currently working on options for BKK involving other carriers/solutions. Said to touch base in the next 24 hours if we haven’t heard anything.

Frankie 26 posts

Thanks to you Shilly for pointing me to look here instead of the daily forum. I was told the same thing this morning on the BA silver line about BA not being able to rebook for BKK cancelled flights after 31st October. My flight is in January (on a BA 2 for 1 companion voucher). Anyway, I went onto live chat, as someone did in the above chat, and was able to rebook to Qatar in January with no issues. The BA agents on the phone are not telling the truth in this situation.

jumpfrog 23 posts

Thanks to you Shilly for pointing me to look here instead of the daily forum. I was told the same thing this morning on the BA silver line about BA not being able to rebook for BKK cancelled flights after 31st October. My flight is in January (on a BA 2 for 1 companion voucher). Anyway, I went onto live chat, as someone did in the above chat, and was able to rebook to Qatar in January with no issues. The BA agents on the phone are not telling the truth in this situation.

I did that this morning. However, I just received a call from the Indian call centre and a manager informed the rebooking was made in error. He said there is no codeshare in place yet and the agent was mistaken. I then called the silver line and was informed there is indeed no codeshare in place and that I will have to wait. So back to square one. Very frustrating as I could manage my booking on QR and choose seats, etc. I would be interested to know if your booking still stands in 24-48 hours.

Lady London 2,035 posts

I received an email from BA yesterday notifying of cancellation of my AVIOS 2-4-1 booking (Club World) for travel to BKK in Nov. I rang today to reroute but apparently they said they could not reroute to commercial seats and there is not a single redemption seat – including QR, CC, JL or Finnair. I have refused a refund and they have asked me to call again next week as the agreement with QR might be extended for travels beyond October.

What can I do if they can’t find a reroute at all as I have already arranged hotels and forward travels in Thailand?

More lies from BA.

If your flight is cancelled they are *not* allowed to insist on an avios seat being available to rebook you into as a replacement for your cancelled flight. Not if you choose to travel as near as possible to your original flight timings and not if you choose instead to travel at a later date convenient to you (it’s your choice not theirs and if they cancelled your flight, thry are *not* allowed to restrict your rebook to, say, – or + 3 days or two weeks or whatever either).

In either case if there’s a seat available in the cabin you booked, you have a right to it. Whether ypu paid for it in haribos, avios, 241, vouchers etc.

Find this out before calling them by pretending to make a new booking online and see if they’re selling a seat in the class of travel you booked. Regardless of displayed cost.

Keep detailed notes of every call with BA on this. Date time who you spoke to, what was said.

ZorTM 8 posts

I just tried the online chat and got through to an agent within 10 min (from position 63). An extremely helpful agent rebooked my flights with QR (all BA flight numbers) with no problem at all. Not sure why earlier agent on the phone was unable to rebook giving an excuse with an agreement not allowing bookings after October. I am sure BA is trying to get refunds rather than rebookings. Try the online chat!

nick1988 18 posts

I just tried the online chat and got through to an agent within 10 min (from position 63). An extremely helpful agent rebooked my flights with QR (all BA flight numbers) with no problem at all. Not sure why earlier agent on the phone was unable to rebook giving an excuse with an agreement not allowing bookings after October. I am sure BA is trying to get refunds rather than rebookings. Try the online chat!

I think it’s luck who you get, I tried on the chat and wouldn’t do it if you’re travelling after October.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.