Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club LHR -> JFK Business or LHR -> EWR First

• buzzmonkey 15 posts

Any thoughts from HFP readers which route is best:

LHR -> JFK Business return
    LHR -> EWR First return

We’re using a 2-4-1 voucher to enjoy a few days in NYC without kids (bliss).

Leaning towards first for obvious reasons just not sure if airport makes any difference.

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

Go for F outbound as you’ll get the Concorde lounge etc at LHR and the convenience of You First/free seat selection etc. Unless your return is on the day flight, I wouldn’t bother with F coming back, especially if business is Club Suite. Not sure if JFK currently has a functioning CCR?

You can also mix n match NY airports, you’ll get both options shown when you come to book. EWR is much less frenetic than JFK, we’re returning from there next summer after our outbound in F to BOS and road trip via Cape Cod.

Enjoy the bliss!

AL 577 posts

Concur entirely with NorthernLass on this. Club Suites is head and shoulders above old Club World, but I still can’t shake off the feeling that F is – in most cases – a good standard of business class offering. Then again, it’s unfair to pit Middle Eastern and Asian airlines against the western world.

JDB 4,378 posts

I wouldn’t compromise, for the relatively small number of extra Avios by not coming back in F. Even vs Club Suites, F is a vastly superior experience for day or overnight flights with a small cabin, personal service, totally different calibre of food and drink served when it suits you, not when the crew fancy, better seat/bed/bedding and on the overnight, it’s much quieter without other pax and crew stomping around and breakfast is served right up to the last minute, no loo queues etc. etc.

Andrew J 769 posts

Go for F outbound as you’ll get the Concorde lounge etc at LHR and the convenience of You First/free seat selection etc. Unless your return is on the day flight, I wouldn’t bother with F coming back, especially if business is Club Suite. Not sure if JFK currently has a functioning CCR?

You can also mix n match NY airports, you’ll get both options shown when you come to book. EWR is much less frenetic than JFK, we’re returning from there next summer after our outbound in F to BOS and road trip via Cape Cod.

Enjoy the bliss!

CCR is still available at JFK until the terminal move.

Alex G 435 posts

More important than First or Business is day or night flight. I always chose a daytime flight now when coming back from NYC or Boston. You will spend an extra night on an airport hotel, but have an enjoyable flight home with minimal jet lag. The short eastbound night flight does not give you enough time to sleep.

marshy11 247 posts

We did F both ways, outwards to JFK but chose to come back from EWR rather than JFK – purely because of logistics suiting us. I would always take F over J but I haven’t taken a CS flight so perhaps I’m making a sweeping statement. But I like a small cabin and I don’t like to feel hemmed in. F does it for me.

MattB 261 posts

Personally I would always choose EWR and with the F option it would be a no brainer.

astra19 53 posts

I like EWR. The First dining isn’t much to speak of, but service is lovely and friendly. Often less traffic at the times of BA flights too.
    I think First is worth it overnight too. It’s nice to have someone make the bed, have the pyjamas, etc. If it’s not ridiculously more expensive in cash I find it’s worth it, but for Avios it certainly is.

njb 65 posts

I would always choose First for outward journey for the reasons mentioned above- CCR lounge, service on board and First check in.
    I also like the daytime flight home – and as it is early – I am happy to forgo a First lounge or even a lounge at all and fly PE!
    As for which airport – EWR is smaller and easier to transit through. It might be worth looking at airport location in relation to where you are staying in Manhattan.

Michael C 667 posts

I would always choose First for outward journey for the reasons mentioned above- CCR lounge, service on board and First check in.
    I also like the daytime flight home – and as it is early – I am happy to forgo a First lounge or even a lounge at all and fly PE!
    As for which airport – EWR is smaller and easier to transit through. It might be worth looking at airport location in relation to where you are staying in Manhattan.

Totally agree with each point.
    PE daytime is fine by us, and as for hotels: anywhere near Penn Station, and you
    can hope on the airport train and avoid the traffic. Even shorter distance is the New Jersey
    Hyatt, which has THE most amazing unobstructed views of Manhattan.

Terwri 23 posts

A seconder on the Jersey Hyatt. Have spent many a night there and very rapid access to WTC

Totally agree with each point.
    PE daytime is fine by us, and as for hotels: anywhere near Penn Station, and you
    can hope on the airport train and avoid the traffic. Even shorter distance is the New Jersey
    Hyatt, which has THE most amazing unobstructed views of Manhattan.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.