Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Other frequent flyer schemes Likelihood of sale in 2023 with Iberia Plus?

• Londonsteve 193 posts

Back in early 2017 Iberia Plus ran a 25% off sale for all reward seats. Booked a couple of long hauls for a decent discount and had a great experience on board. I know IB ran a 50% sale during Covid but those were exceptional circumstances seeking to drum up business of any kind so I’m not expecting something as generous again. Does anyone know if IB are likely to run a sale in the new year offering a discount off reward seats?

IB are increasingly appealing as a redemption option for Avios holders after the BA devaluation although their route network is pretty limited. It’s great if they fly where you happen to want to go, in my case GIG. They’re looking good value compared to BA even with no discount so I’m wondering whether to book now and forget about getting a deal, or hold off until Easter at the latest for flights in late October or November. This is low season in Rio and we’re flexible about when we travel so I’d like to think there would still be good availability in April for November.

gtellez 162 posts

Iberia used to run these deals 2 or 3 times a year (some of them were exclusively for IB credit cardholders), although the last one was almost a year ago. Not sure if they will do it again, hope so though. However if you have the avios you can book now and then cancel for 25 euros per person if they run a promotion. IB always releases 2 seats in business and if you cancel a booking they are automatically released again (although you don’t receive the avios back until few days later, so you would need to have extra avios in your account).

Londonsteve 193 posts

@gtellez – Excellent advice, thank you. I wasn’t sure about the cancellation terms for IB these days so you’ve also answered that question. I guess there’s little to be lost (other than a 50 Euro cancellation fee) to book now and cancel and rebook if a sale comes along. Since we’re flexible, we could afford to wait a few days for the Avios to return then book the original flight, or another day with availability at roughly the same time.

Skywalker 697 posts

If you have an Amex, check to see if the Iberia cashback offer is on your card 🙂

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.