Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice London hotels with children

• Will in SJC 25 posts

I am going to be back in the UK from the US in the Spring for the first time in three or so years. We need to be in London for a couple of days for a US embassy appointment.

Does anyone have any recommendations on children friendly hotels (that are nicer than a bog standard Holiday Inn)? Children are both under 5. I had originally planned on being close to the embassy but I am not that fussed as I quickly remembered the new embassy is surrounded by a lot of development. Ideally we want somewhere that is relatively modern, a decent sized room (or connecting rooms) with some nice restaurants and parks nearby. We want to avoid somewhere which turns into a trendy nightclub in the evening (looking at you IC Los Angeles!).

In an absolute ideal world the hotel will have a good restaurant or bar where friends can swing by to eat or have a drink with us whilst we are in town.

I have taken a look at the Crowne Plaza London Embankment which we stayed at just after it opened but they can’t accommodate four people in a room.

I am a Hyatt loyalist but the price of family rooms at The Churchill and Old Scotland Yard is too expensive and I can’t get points availability.

All suggestions are welcome. If it can’t be booked via Emyr with some benefits thrown in, all the better! We don’t mind having a bit of a journey to the embassy. I am also open to non chain hotels but have status with IHG, Hilton and Hyatt.

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Crafty 150 posts

Andaz family rooms can be ok value at times?

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Marriott Residence Inn and Staybridge Suites can be good options and might have connecting rooms as well. They have kitchenette that can be useful for families.

aseftel 266 posts

Andaz family rooms can be ok value at times?

No parks, but otherwise I’d say it’s a decent choice. Had a good experience on a family stay last summer. Great restaurant/drinking options on the doorstep.

Park Plaza Westminster Bridge also comes to mind – Great views (especially from some suites), some open space nearby, has a pool, lots of family-friendly attractions on the doorstep, right end of town for the embassy too.

The Savage Squirrel 567 posts

The embassy is indeed in a strange and unlovely corner of London. Closest decent option is probably Pestana Chelsea Bridge which had nicely furnished modern rooms when I stayed, very decent pricing due to its slightly odd location; although I can’t comment on food options. The child friendly bit is that you get a view of the dogs exercising out of Battersea Dogs Home from the back, and Battersea Park is just across the road.

Probably a better bet is the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge as mentioned above. All pretty modern as it’s quite new; I don’t know how they’ve done it but it’s amazingly quiet despite being surrounded by roads, and the Family Rooms would be ideal for two under 5s being a single room but set out in such a way that the two sleeping areas are a little separate. Decent selection of in-hotel choice with a decent bar, restaurant, sushi place and coffee shop. Skip hotel breakfast and go to Lower Marshes with a choice of artisan coffee house or greasy spoon (you know your kids will love it), while the Jubilee Park next to the London Eye has a play area suitable for young children to go absolutely feckin mental let off steam.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Will in SJC 25 posts

Many thanks for the suggestions everyone- much appreciated. It looks like the Park Plaza is a good bet followed by the Andaz.

The real Swiss Tony 652 posts

Just to say the Park Plaza County Hall has some studio type rooms, where there’s again a separate sleeping area/sofa bed away from the main part of the room. As I recall it also came with a microwave and fridge, although it doesn’t have a pool.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.