Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Maldives via India – experiences?

• masaccio 715 posts

I’ve started looking at hotels for what was meant to be a Jordan trip next Easter and they’re 3x normal prices so I am thinking of ditching our reward flights and switching to the Maldives and doing LHR-BLR-MLE and MLE-DEL-LHR which has reward availability for the BA segments.

The Delhi bit may mean overnight in the transit hotel which gets mixed reviews but connections don’t seem terrible and I don’t think on that basis we’d need to enter India which saves faff and visas.

Has anyone done this? OH was supportive to say the least when I said ‘Maldives’. It’s been a while since we last went.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

BLR (& HYD) are small and efficient airports, well maintained and should be easy for transit with a reasonable connection time. They also had good lounges, but there have been changes recently.
    DEL (& BOM) are large airports and connections take longer. Flip side, more options for food and lounges.
    Not sure what you mean by “don’t think on that basis we’d need to enter India”.

strickers 655 posts

If you’re not on a single ticket you’ll need a visa to enter India. E-visas are suspended for UK citizens so you’ll need to visit a consulate and pay £148 each.

masaccio 715 posts

If you’re not on a single ticket you’ll need a visa to enter India. E-visas are suspended for UK citizens so you’ll need to visit a consulate and pay £148 each.

Urgh that is something I was looking to miss. We have both had Indian visas before but even so. Thanks for the warning.

masaccio 715 posts

@strickers
    trying to confirm this in the case of hand luggage only. This indicates it ‘may’ be possible. The trick appears to be you need your onward boarding pass. I’d need to check if I can get that as last time it wasn’t possible.

TJones 41 posts

No point looking for a “trick” or loophole. If you don’t have a visa, you’ll be denied boarding at LHR.

JDB 4,333 posts

@strickers
    trying to confirm this in the case of hand luggage only. This indicates it ‘may’ be possible. The trick appears to be you need your onward boarding pass. I’d need to check if I can get that as last time it wasn’t possible.

Even if you can theoretically bypass the visa issue, it seems rather high risk if either it turns out at the last minute you can’t print your boarding pass or your onward flight were heavily delayed or cancelled, you are either not allowed to board or stuck inside the Indian airport.

strickers 655 posts

Yes, £148 each for visas is expensive and I do wish the respective governments would sort this out so that e-visas come back. But is it really worth risking a trip to the Maldives for les than £300? We are doing similar, travelling via Chennai and Sri Lanka and taking the opportunity for a week at the IC Chennai at the end. FCDO advice still says don’t travel to Sri Lanka but it also mentions a state of emergency which ended on the 18th. I’m fairly certain we would still go if the advice doesn’t change and just take out additional insurance through Battleface.

masaccio 715 posts

Thanks all. Skyping BA!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.