Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Other hotel schemes Melia birthday upgrade joke

• The real Swiss Tony 650 posts

So am staying at a Melia hotel next week. Went to check in to try and avail myself of the Gold birthday upgrade. They offered to trade my double room up to a twin room in the same category. Anything more and i’d have to pay extra.

First time i’ve stayed in a Melia – I sincerely hope it gets better than this.

Niall 113 posts

I am not sure about the birthday upgrade voucher because when given the choice as MeliáRewards gold, I always opted for another 20% off instead of the upgrade voucher.

However, the MeliáRewards platinum upgrades allow up to 3 category upgrades and crucially are based on availability (as I suspect is the gold voucher). When I go to upgrade with platinum it will usually show me a choice which will include rooms in the same category as well as those in higher categories.

The hotels do seem to have too much say on room categories and how many levels of upgrade. However, I would say it’s very likely they just don’t have an available room one category up from yours. You haven’t mentioned which Meliá this is, but hotels seems to be insanely busy with this post covid summer.

Much like status upgrades, you should be prepared that they may not be able to offer the upgrade.

slidey 287 posts

First 3 times I tried to use melia upgrade vouchers it said there was nothing available. The fourth time I got upgrades to a slightly bigger bed.

Expect nothing from melia and you wont be disappointed.

The real Swiss Tony 650 posts

It’s Liverpool

What amazes me though is they will “upgrade” from a standard double to standard twin, but they do have availability in other bigger rooms (they will sell the upgrade to me from £17 a night, showing what value they put on the voucher). So not sure if there’s a sub category like river view that’s sold out?

I actually have two rooms booked. One is the top category anyway so realised that wouldn’t be upgraded. Didn’t appreciate the 20% stacked.

Niall 113 posts

It’s Liverpool

What amazes me though is they will “upgrade” from a standard double to standard twin, but they do have availability in other bigger rooms (they will sell the upgrade to me from £17 a night, showing what value they put on the voucher). So not sure if there’s a sub category like river view that’s sold out?

I actually have two rooms booked. One is the top category anyway so realised that wouldn’t be upgraded. Didn’t appreciate the 20% stacked.

Yeh that sucks that the available pay-for upgrades start at so little.

I’m sure it is exactly as you predict, with a hidden sub category.

It’s a shame. The value from the upgrade voucher can be very good where it’s a hotel with relatively few room types (eg Melia Desert palm), but looks like you’d never get much out of it in Liverpool.

The real Swiss Tony 650 posts

Just looked. There’s a river view room available, runs at £14 more per night than the standard room! Perhaps I should give them the benefit of the doubt because I have two rooms booked???

Niall 113 posts

Just looked. There’s a river view room available, runs at £14 more per night than the standard room! Perhaps I should give them the benefit of the doubt because I have two rooms booked???

Sorry, I am not following. There is a river view room now available as an upgrade with your voucher? Or you can see a room like that for a new booking at a cost of £14 more per night?

Carlos 758 posts

wheres the joke?

Niall 113 posts

wheres the joke?

Not sure if this is a joke 😅. But assuming not and thinking you’re referring to the word ‘joke’ in the title ‘Melia birthday upgrade joke’, then it is referring to the offered upgrade which wasn’t an upgrade at all. As in the expression ‘what a joke’. Or the google definition ‘a person or thing that is ridiculously inadequate.’

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    MattB 259 posts

Just trying to use my birthday voucher for an upcoming melia stay. I started check in online and was offered a decent upgrade a few categories up I was happy to accept, but in the app my booking has been stuck on ‘awaiting new contract’ so I can’t complete check in. Is this normal?

sloth 315 posts

Just trying to use my birthday voucher for an upcoming melia stay. I started check in online and was offered a decent upgrade a few categories up I was happy to accept, but in the app my booking has been stuck on ‘awaiting new contract’ so I can’t complete check in. Is this normal?

You need to check in, and upgrade, online. It never works for me on the app with similar error to what you are seeing

Fwiw I have been upgraded fine using the birthday upgrade vouchers at both melia gran via Madrid and sol melia ibiza… however it was impossible to check in online at melia champs Elysées last week but when i mentioned it and said how much easier it had been at other hotels the receptionist got my meaning and upgraded me to a great room. I have also been able to book all those hotels with the 20% off and then in addition use the upgrade voucher.

I find the staff at the melia hotels are generally pretty good but the IT is pretty shocking and no back office help if required

MattB 259 posts

Yes the IT is absolutely abysmal! Oh well I’ll try to blag something with reception tomorrow.

MattB 259 posts

Well despite still not being able to check in online, this morning the app showed my room number and i could tell from the floor it was going to be the upgrade room offered.

Even though we arrived at the ME London 3 hours before check in time, they were very apologetic that the room wasn’t quite ready so enjoyed a few free glasses of bubbles whilst we waited.

Now taking in the sun on our city view terrace over Covent Garden with the complementary wine they brought to us (no idea why) before going out to make use of the platinum dining credit. Just a shame all I can hear is ‘Let it Go’ on a continuous loop from over the road.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.