Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• masaccio 719 posts
    Lady London 2,020 posts

Hum.
    So exactly 2 years ago this month, the pilots agreed a 2 year window of agreed pay % reductions. That window is now up. So presumably as of this month or next, the pilots will automatically resume being paid their full salary as it was 2 years ago, just before the temporary reduction period of 2 years which has now finished.

And naturally, now that the pre-reduction pay scale to which pilots should now automatically be returned to is… er.. the pay scale of 2 years ago, and especially taking current inflation pressures into account, the pilots are now seeking to negotiate an uprating in their pay scale.

BA won’t talk to them blaming them for making passengers’ holidays worse, by even requesting this.

Something’s not right in this article. A professional union would have got it cast iron in a contract that pay automatically returns to full level at exactly 2 years, if that was what was agreed.

And a professional union would have opened negotiations a few months ago already at least, if they thought a pay increase should be implemented around now.

So I don’t think the article is telling the full story.

Having said that, if BA asked me to tell them the time I would never lend them my watch, not even on a chain, because BA would take it and I’d never see it again.

JDB 4,333 posts

This time pilots getting screwed by a ‘temporary’ pay cut

https://www.nationalworld.com/lifestyle/travel/british-airways-pilots-strike-why-trade-union-balpa-2022-walk-out-ba-3782281

Can’t understand the heading of this thread.

Not sure if you saw the settlement following the recent SAS pilots strike (that caused SAS to file for bankruptcy) – they are taking a 25% pay cut (partly actual salary cut, partly working extra hours) and a 5½ year no strike agreement. Lufthansa flights largely grounded today with LH ground handler strike. Ryanair strikes currently in various locations. Easyjet crew strike tomorrow at BCN, PMI & AGP.

Difficult union negotiations in many sectors across Europe aren’t exactly a surprise.

bafan 6 posts

People should be on strike the low pay in this sector is absurd. Everyone must know by now the ticket prices need to go up.

masaccio 719 posts

BA negotiated a pay settlement to weather negative conditions and now they are pushing back on a return to pay at levels of 2 years ago despite significant inflation. Even as a shareholder, I think this is scummy behaviour. The mismanagement of the airline just keeps coming. I expected turnaround by 2025 but I wonder now if they will ever manage it.

I realise HfP readers will often be pro-airline but sometimes you have to call out the crappy behaviour that ultimately leads to a poor customer experience. This is Leary-esque.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.