Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• cinereus 161 posts

Is there any way to convert less than the maximum with Nectar > Avios autoconvert?

I’ve maxed out my monthly transfer and am still 13,000 Avios short. I’d rather keep my balance in Nectar but it seems that auto convert will always do the maximum possible.

If I’d though ahead I would have transferred less and then used the auto convert to top up precisely but it’s too late now.

1. Is there any way to only convert 13,200 Avios instead of the full amount with auto convert?
    2. If I set up auto convert now, when will it transfer? On Monday?

John 1,000 posts

Would buying something at the right price from Argos now and returning it after Monday work?

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,075 posts

Argos purchases usually take a month to credit your nectar account. They aren’t an instantaneous post.

Auto convert will convert everything across (in multiples of 400 nectar points) and can’t be adjusted.

Peter K 553 posts

Why not cancel the auto convert and do a manual convert instead?

John 1,000 posts

Argos purchases usually take a month to credit your nectar account. They aren’t an instantaneous post.

I thought I wouldn’t need to spell it out, but I’m not talking about earning nectar!

By my understanding of the OP, they have more than 21k nectar currently, but only want to convert 13k avios. However manual conversion is not possible any more until next month, and auto convert will do more than that.

So buy something at Argos (paying with nectar!!) to reduce the nectar balance to 21k. Auto convert that, then refund the item when you want the nectar points back. Not sure if this works. Ebay doesn’t because you can’t refund to nectar. Sainsburys may work too but you have to buy the item today, as nectar gets deducted one day after for sainsburys purchases.

cinereus 161 posts

Why not cancel the auto convert and do a manual convert instead?

As I said, I’ve maxed out my monthly convert.

I thought I wouldn’t need to spell it out, but I’m not talking about earning nectar!

By my understanding of the OP, they have more than 21k nectar currently, but only want to convert 13k avios. However manual conversion is not possible any more until next month, and auto convert will do more than that.

So buy something at Argos (paying with nectar!!) to reduce the nectar balance to 21k. Auto convert that, then refund the item when you want the nectar points back. Not sure if this works. Ebay doesn’t because you can’t refund to nectar. Sainsburys may work too but you have to buy the item today, as nectar gets deducted one day after for sainsburys purchases.

I have six figures of Nectar, I don’t think there’s enough I could buy at Argos to get it down to 21k.

I would be up for buying something to return if there’s any way to credit Nectar fast enough but I doubt there’s anywhere I can easily get 13,000 Nectar in one day.

Does anyone know about the time frame for auto convert if I can’t reduce the amount somehow?

Also, is auto convert asymmetric? ie does it always start with 25k of the currency converted from? Or does it always convert up to 25k Avios equivalent?

cinereus 161 posts

Auto-convert didn’t go through today as expected.

Have called BAEC who say it’s not that problem. Have spoken to multiple managers at Nectar who don’t even realise thst there’s a difference between auto convert and manual let alone the timescale or the day auto convert is meant to happen and no luck getting them to do a manual override conversion.

Any ideas who to call or speak to in order to convert a few extra Nectar to Avios with a deadline in mind?

Peter K 553 posts

Auto convert is not necessarily at the start of the day. In the other direction I think I got email confirmation with the Avios taken in the evening. Maybe 9pm?

cinereus 161 posts

Still hasn’t worked three days later. And now Avios site isn’t letting me even set it up again.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.