Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express New Amex Platinum bonus (and credit card!)

• Andrew J 769 posts

What’s the underlying reason for removing the additional four supplementary cards? Is it regulatory/related to S75? Are supplementary credit cards more expensive for them to manage?

Saving money – all supps get the travel insurance.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

What’s the underlying reason for removing the additional four supplementary cards? Is it regulatory/related to S75? Are supplementary credit cards more expensive for them to manage?

My guess is, with lower credit limit, it may not make sense to issue another 3 or 4 supplementary cards, where some simultaneous spending can easily reach the limit. This isnt a problem with a charge card with theoretically unlimited limit.

JDB 4,374 posts

For what it’s worth, credit cards supps don’t usually get s75 protection, unless for example whatever they purchase is at the request of and for the benefit of the primary cardholder.

Ori 35 posts

Has anyone asked to change to the credit card version from the charge card? Is it a new application or just a switch over? Would also be interesting to see what the credit limits are.

CarpalTravel 363 posts

It’s a credit product so would need to be treated as a new application.

Gary_Dexter 130 posts

Has anyone asked to change to the credit card version from the charge card? Is it a new application or just a switch over? Would also be interesting to see what the credit limits are.

Subject to status. As per any other credit card product.

Gary_Dexter 130 posts

An article written on “The Points Guy UK” states “Existing cardmembers can choose to switch from a charge card to a credit card if they wish.” but that’s a bit open-ended and up for interpretation

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    CarpalTravel 363 posts

That’s like saying I can choose to switch mortgage providers.

Amex’s own words:

If approved for the new Credit Card, please note as an existing Charge Cardmember: etc..etc..”

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-gb/charge-cards/platinum-card/platinum-charge-card-vs-credit-card/?linknav=uk-amex-cardshop-PlatinumCard-details-norewardscard

It is an application.

SteveJ 979 posts

An article written on “The Points Guy UK”

This is where you went wrong

JDB 4,374 posts

An article written on “The Points Guy UK” states “Existing cardmembers can choose to switch from a charge card to a credit card if they wish.” but that’s a bit open-ended and up for interpretation

If you have time to read low grade sites, you are sure to get it wrong. Please don’t cite these sort of sites here and, if you don’t know the answer, please leave it to someone who does.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Ori 35 posts

Yup. It appears to be a new application. I know it’s a credit agreement, but you already have one with the charge card so surely it could just be an easy changeover option. They could just say switch over and we can give you a credit limit of xxxxx.

Although would be interesting as I randomly did a check spending power on my very rich friends Amex platinum card (he didn’t know you could do this) and we did 150,000 and it said would be approved. He wouldn’t let me try again. 😉
    So for someone like him, if they did want to move him over to the credit card, they would need to offer a serious limit.

Gary_Dexter 130 posts

If you have time to read low grade sites, you are sure to get it wrong. Please don’t cite these sort of sites here and, if you don’t know the answer, please leave it to someone who does.

Wow – harsh answer. Are you a forum moderator? Was there really any need for that tone?

FearlessTraveller 54 posts

Unrelated question, but the gold amex isn’t a charge card anymore?

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,207 posts

Unrelated question, but the gold amex isn’t a charge card anymore?

Not for a new application, no.

Whatsthepoint 122 posts

I just got refused for the Platinum despite having a perfect credit score, a current BA PP and a long history with Amex. I called them but the agent couldn’t offer an explanation. Anyone else had this experience? I thought I’d read somewhere about someone being refused but after reducing the credit limit on their other Amex card they were accepted. Any help would be appreciated.

lollyfry 44 posts

Does anyone know – Could my OH link his new plat Credit card to my hotel accounts to maintain the status? Or can it only be linked to loyalty accounts in his name?

I currently have the Plat charge card and thinking of referring OH for the new Plat credit card and closing my charge card. We only have one Hilton, Marriott, etc loyalty account as a household and they are all in my name and status’ upgraded as linked to my plat card.

FFoxSake 217 posts

I currently have the Plat charge card and thinking of referring OH for the new Plat credit card and closing my charge card. We only have one Hilton, Marriott, etc loyalty account as a household and they are all in my name and status’ upgraded as linked to my plat card.

They could issue their supplementary card to you for you to link to your existing accounts.

lollyfry 44 posts

Thanks @FFoxSake, I didn’t realise supp card holders also benefited from the hotel status upgrades! That’s what I’ll do then!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.