Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Covid travel NHS alert – scam or not?

NHS alert – scam or not?

• NorthernLass

Arrived home from Spain this weekend and I’ve had several texts and emails saying I’ve been in contact with someone who has tested positive and so has my OH. I got 2 alerts, one with my first and middle names and one “unknown” and OH got one with first and middle name. This might correspond to our PLFs son and I were on one and OH on another. Because the names were incomplete and there were instructions to provide further details to the NHS, we’ve ignored them but they keep on coming! So I checked what an actual text alert should look like and the real NHS link is the one we’ve actually been sent. According to scam alerts in (e.g.) Which? etc, the NHS is actually collecting data on people who have received the alerts (it’s not clear why, tbh). It’s very odd indeed as the text really looks like a scam! Has anyone else had this, and is it obligatory to provide this data? I can’t really be bothered to provide it but don’t want endless texts and emails mithering me to do it.

To be clear, I accessed the NHS data collecting website via a Which? article and NOT via the texts or emails. It recognised the account details the messages provided me with. The originator on the text messages is NHStracing, which just looks unprofessional!

• This topic was modified 52 years, 4 months ago by .
    The Savage Squirrel

There’s no requirement to do anything as a non-household contact, even before Thursday’s upcoming changes. At this point to be honest I’d just block the number and not think any more about it.

NorthernLass

Thanks – I can only think someone on our flight on Saturday had to take a day 2 test which came back positive. They must therefore have done it voluntarily, or been unvaccinated (and somehow managed to enter Spain unvaccinated – theoretically possible if they are a resident).

It all looks so unprofessional, how can the NHS not even get people’s name’s right and expect to be taken seriously?!

Lee

I had two different text messages today saying I’d been in contact with someone testing positive and I need to buy a test from their website, but I know they’re a scam as it’s a phone and number that’s not associated with my NHS account, and was also a fraudulent website.

davefl

Thanks – I can only think someone on our flight on Saturday had to take a day 2 test which came back positive. They must therefore have done it voluntarily, or been unvaccinated (and somehow managed to enter Spain unvaccinated – theoretically possible if they are a resident).

It all looks so unprofessional, how can the NHS not even get people’s name’s right and expect to be taken seriously?!

This wont be NHS, it’ll be test and trace/outsourced to Capita or whoever it is and they are an utter shambles. Data input by non-english as a 1st language resource paid by the item.

I got pinged 8 days after coming back from Iceland and told to quarrantine ‘until sunday’ after passing my day 2 PCR. Basically this is what the results of dilligently completing your PLF are, utterly useless and hopefully scrapped by Easter.

NorthernLass

@davefl – that would explain it! We outsourced our translation work to Capita at one time and the standards were frankly abysmal!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.