Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Hilton Honors Nights, keeping status – general query

• Mick S 271 posts

can someone confirm my understanding please?
    I’m currently on 90 nights this year, 46 were rolled over, and I’ve had 44 nights in 2022.

(a) 42 is diamond qualification this year – I don’t expect the extra 4 (46-42) will roll again so these will disappear. Diamond status will be renewed until March 2024 ?

(b) I will have 6 more nights between now and end of year. 44 + 6 will roll into next year, meaning the 60 night qualification is only 10 nights from being achieved.

Thanks.

John 1,000 posts

You need 42 nights in 2022 to be diamond for Jan 2023 to Mar 2024. 46 nights rolled over from 2021 so you already achieved this without staying a single night in 2022.

Only actual nights stayed in 2022 beyond the requirements will roll over to 2023. With 50 actual nights in 2022, only 8 nights will roll over. You will need 52 nights in 2023 to renew for Jan 2024 to Mar 2025./

Mick S 271 posts

slightly confused here, which doesn’t take much much these days 🙂
    Had I not stopped a single night in 2022 I’d have already achieved Diamond status to March 2024 from the 46 night rolled over nights. I get that.

I ended up stopping 106 nights in the end, only 18 have have rolled-over into 2023. I don’t really get this. 46 (42+4) have been removed for Diamond qualification 2022, and a further 42 have been taken. What was the actual point in stopping all the extra nights with Hilton then, I may as well have put these to Bonvoy to improve status there. Perhaps I’m reading this wrong, but at the moment I feel short-changed by some margin.

John 1,000 posts

You had 46 nights roll over from 2021. Your final counter was 106 nights but you only had 106-46 = 60 actual nights in 2022.

Diamond renewal requirement in 2022 was 42 nights, so only 60-42 = 18 nights rolled over to 2023 (despite the fact that you didn’t need those 42 nights to renew).

In 2023 the diamond renewal requirement is 60 nights and you already have 18, so you only need 42 (to give you diamond until March 2025).

So you are partly right, if you had stayed 42 or fewer actual nights in 2022 they would have all been wasted for status renewal purposes. However they are not completely wasted since you have shaved 18 nights off your 2023 renewal requirement, you just needed to collect the 42 “wasted” nights first in order to make the further nights count.

You may well have been better off putting the stays towards Marriott, but presumably you got some benefit out of being diamond from the Hilton stays themselves, and milestone bonuses, even if the nights were not that useful for requalifying.

Mick S 271 posts

Thanks John, appreciate you putting that response together. Makes sense.

so yes, i did get the benefit of Diamond status of these “wasted” nights, but had I known the full picture I would have almost certainly put these the way of Marriott.

I suspect the Hilton diamond status is going to end next year. 42 nights is manageable at a push this year, but scoring 60 next year will be out of reach.

John 1,000 posts

Don’t forget you can also get diamond via stays, or spend, but these don’t roll over (so last year’s nights would all be wasted).

Most of my stays are 1 night so having ~35 nights/year before covid was enough for me to qualify via stays. But breakfast is the most important benefit to me and the threat of replacing it with the stupid food credit is making me think twice about spending excess money on requalifying – though of course I still want to make use of the benefits for this year

Pangolin 106 posts

Don’t forget you can also get diamond via stays, or spend, but these don’t roll over (so last year’s nights would all be wasted).

Most of my stays are 1 night so having ~35 nights/year before covid was enough for me to qualify via stays. But breakfast is the most important benefit to me and the threat of replacing it with the stupid food credit is making me think twice about spending excess money on requalifying – though of course I still want to make use of the benefits for this year

Yes, if they roll out that F&B policy to RoW then I’m done with Hilton after this year. I have free breakfast with Marriott (at most brands) and IHG so no reason I should put up with some lousy voucher in its place.

HJ 37 posts

Thanks John, appreciate you putting that response together. Makes sense.

so yes, i did get the benefit of Diamond status of these “wasted” nights, but had I known the full picture I would have almost certainly put these the way of Marriott.

I suspect the Hilton diamond status is going to end next year. 42 nights is manageable at a push this year, but scoring 60 next year will be out of reach.

Another benefit you will have achieved is the ability to gift someone else Gold status. Not sure if that means much for your circumstances but could soften the blow a little!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.