Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Not sure which queue to join at Naples Passport Control

• rk1 47 posts

My Wife has an EU passport and I have a UK passport. My wife insists I can join the EU queue with her but I am not so sure. Does anyone have any experiences they can share?

PeteM 709 posts

Never had a problem bringing my American husband through the EU queue – some places raise more of an eyebrow than others though.

gustavo 51 posts

I take my wife on the EU queue as well and they stamp her passport.

George K 292 posts

An EU passport holder can take any non-EU nationals with them through the EU queue. It is a stated and known benefit, I believe, so not just done on the good graces of border officials.

(I do it regularly – never had an issue)

John 1,000 posts

Whichever queue looks faster. Obviously non-EU passengers take longer per person, but then very occasionally there are more officers doing all passports

jek 118 posts

An EU passport holder can take any non-EU nationals with them through the EU queue. It is a stated and known benefit, I believe, so not just done on the good graces of border officials.

(I do it regularly – never had an issue)

Do you know where it is stated? I looked but I could not find anything official except for the UK pre-Brexit.

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

Apparently it’s covered in S9 of the Schengen Border Control code, but I think each country can set its own procedure so it’s probably one of those you just have to try and see what happens.
    However, if the non-EU partner is exercising their freedom of movement rights, you would think they would need to be in the same queue with the EU partner to be able to do this?!

stevenhp1987 331 posts

I’ve recently being going through the Non-EU queue with my wife (who is a UK/EU dual national).

Thus far it’s never been that much longer than the EU queue.

Many countries ask that we go up to the border agent separately though. They actively moan when we go up together and tell one of us to go back. I imagine they would not be too happy when I turn up at the border agent alone in the EU queue…

PeteM 709 posts

Thus far it’s never been that much longer than the EU queue.

I’d say you’ve been quite lucky – we’ve worked out we’ve saved about 8hrs of queuing this year so far by going via the EU queue – between a few trips to Madrid, Berlin and Brussels. Imagine it’ll only get worse.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.