Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Open jaw – can you add 2nd leg later when using Barclaycard voucher?

• Jerseylou 34 posts

Does anyone have experience of booking open jaw and calling a few weeks later to book the return leg using a Barclays upgrade voucher?
    Will I be charged one way taxes and Avios both ways ?
    It seems to be 95,000 Avios and £450 when booking both together but 67,500 and £225 if booking one way. Taxes probably the same but an extra 40,000 avios?

NorthernLass 7,474 posts

Could the avios discrepancy be down to mixing peak and off peak dates, or differences in the avios required for your 2 different airports? I’ve a feeling someone has had the return leg added by phone at a later date but can’t recall the details!

Jerseylou 34 posts

I’ve now booked outward flights using Barclays upgrade vouchers. One Ncl – Mia and one Lhr- Mia. Two separate vouchers. Was charged 47,500 and £225 each. Ncle booked by phone and Lhr online simultaneously. Will call in 3 weeks to add returns and report back on Avios and £ charged.

gill321 33 posts

Did this work?
    Thanks

tontoro 100 posts

I’ve been wondering about this as well

Jerseylou 34 posts

Did this work?
    Thanks

I’ve been wondering about this as well

It worked. But it was an exhausting process. I was in Vancouver when I needed to book so called the US number but still got UK . First guy was very helpful but then decided that he couldn’t do it because the system wouldn’t book California flights with a Barclays voucher. I was on the phone over an hour, well Skype, so got cut off. Called again and next person couldn’t do it either.
    On the third attempt the lovely Welsh lady did it no problem.
    I’m guessing that not too many of the BA staff have done this yet and are therefore baffled by it.
    I was totally confused with costs, on my BA app, the miles were deducted and refunded no less than 13 times. I assume that was the guy trying to do multiple times. In the end I paid 47,500 Avios for LHR to MIA and then that was refunded and I was charged 115,000 for both legs, returning from San Diego. I think that’s right, but was past caring at this point.
    £225 each way.
    No problem at all for one of us to go to and from Newcastle but it was a separate booking and a separate voucher,

So yes it can be done ! But strap in and have coffee and snacks because it was a very, very long process.

I have one more Barclays voucher to use but won’t be getting any more. The Amex 241 is much easier.

Froggee 888 posts

The pricing looks right assuming it’s peak one way and off peak back. I find it weird though that Miami costs the same as the West coast but they’re both >4,000 miles and <5,500 miles so story checks out.

The Barclays vouchers are clearly fiddly to implement for the agents. I think I must have got lucky when I booked mine (domestic connection which causes problems) as the agent knew exactly what she was doing and apologised as there are apparently a couple of extra things they need to do when using these vouchers. Hopefully it will improve as more people book with them.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.