Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Platinum 60,000 points sign-up bonus eligibility

• ian_uk1975 3 posts

Would like to apply for this for the 60k points sign-up bonus. I’m ineligible for the sign-up bonus on the basis that I already have an AMEX Rewards card. However, my wife only had (just cancelled) a Platinum Cashback card. I just spoke with AMEX customer service to ask if she’d be eligible for the sign-up bonus and they were insistent she would not be. When I challenged that saying the cashback card isn’t a rewards card, the CS rep stated it’s still classified as a rewards card.

The HFP eligibility decision tree suggests she should still qualify for the Platinum sign-up bonus, so not sure who to believe.

Can anyone advise please (preferably, going by 1st-hand experience).

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

The only cards which prevent you getting the Platinum sign up bonus are other MR cards, so I am pretty sure the cash back card wouldn’t count. Amex agents say all sorts of stuff which isn’t correct.

alig4th 322 posts

The only cards which prevent you getting the Platinum sign up bonus are other MR cards, so I am pretty sure the cash back card wouldn’t count. Amex agents say all sorts of stuff which isn’t correct.

Agree. If it was on the online chat function or a call centre overseas I’d take what they say with a massive pile of salt. Their accesses/training/knowledge about the UK-specific products is often questionable at best. As NL says, unless your partner had had an MR-earning card (as opposed to a “rewards” card, cashback being a ‘reward’ as such which is where the agent may have fallen down…) in the last 24 months they’ll be fine

Aston100 1,383 posts

The overseas agents are shockingly bad

sm 178 posts

My husband has the blue ba card and the old blue ( clear ) card which is a cashback card and he got plat bonus if that helps.

PIL 100 posts

Your wife can still get the bonuses from the Plat and the BAPP. My wife also applied during this cycle with the same circumstances as yours and points were credited normally

ian_uk1975 3 posts

Thanks all. Wife applied and was approved, so fingers-crossed. Got a few bonus MR points by referring her, too.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.