Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Platinum Card: how soon can I get my 60K MR signup bonus?

• kynazanatoly 13 posts

I got a new American Express Platinum last month, and I should get a 60K membership reward bonus if I spend £6K in the first 6 months.

I’m planning to make a very large immigration-based expense using this card, which means I’ll probably cross the £6k limit after the second month of card membership.

Will I get my MR bonus after I spend £6k, or do I always have to and pay for 6 months of card membership to get this bonus

alig4th 322 posts

Straight away. You can cancel once it hits (then have 30 days to use your points or link it to another MR account)

kynazanatoly 13 posts

If I transfer those 60k MRs to 60k Avios in those 30 days then Amex won’t claw them back when my account closes, right?

If so, thanks!

pointsarb 8 posts

Don’t assume you will receive your MR bonus automatically. I had to make 5 calls to chase and only today (incidentally day 91 after meeting conditional spend) did they cave.

Apparently, Amex rules are that conditional spend bonuses are applied in 90 days or less of hitting spend target so don’t waste your time like I did calling to chase before the full 90 days are up.

Also, their 90 day ticker starts from the day your card is opened on their systems not when you receive your card which could be a few days later so be careful or this may throw your dates off to hit spend in time. I almost lost my 60k points because of this error on my part as I didn’t know!

Finally, don’t waste time chasing points if your call is routed to Amex in India or Philippines as only Brighton seem to be able to get things done these days. Live chat just read off a script in my experience so you’ll be wasting your time there too.

Good luck!

alig4th 322 posts

Finally, don’t waste time chasing points if your call is routed to Amex in India or Philippines as only Brighton seem to be able to get things done these days. Live chat just read off a script in my experience so you’ll be wasting your time there too

Completely agree. My first question whether on chat or phone is “are you based in Brighton?”, If the answer is no then; “please transfer me to someone based in Brighton who can help with my query”. It saves a lot of time, a lot of repeating myself, and a lot of “we’ll pass this to back office, please wait 7-10 working days”, which is all I seem to get from overseas reps.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.