Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Qatar Airways Avios discounting

• Cfrost101 15 posts

Hello all,

Quick question with Qatar Airways and using avios to discount.

Basically, if I book a normal cash ticket but discount with avios do I still get the tier points and avios as usual? I believe the answer is yes, but just want to check!!

Thanks.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

I don’t know – but if you’re researching this, could you tell us what the rate pence per Avios is for the discount? I’m curious if it’s better than BA (or indeed a nectar transfer at the enhanced rate).

Cfrost101 15 posts

The discount rate was around 1.1p per Avios, I used 246K to discount by just over £2,800 – flight is in business from DPS to CDG with Qatar Airways in Qsuite for 2 Pax. A bad redemption but I would rather have the £2,800 in my account going into Christmas and NYE.

Qatar Airways confirmed I will still get my full Avios and Qpoints on the trip, so I will hit Qatar Airways gold status and pick up just over 16K Avios – to add to my 300k remaining Avios balance.

I searched for hours and days for any reward flight availability anywhere in Europe but it’s a bad time of year for easy reward bookings. Luckily I booked by return to DPS from Oslo in February a while ago and it cost 160K Avios and £365 in taxes, Qatar Airways in Business but on the new 787-9 product for 2 pax; cash fare is nearly £4k for that flight.

meta 1,439 posts

QSuite is not guaranteed and Qatar are know for last minute changes even when you checked in online.

Kowalski 105 posts

You can part pay for Qatar flights with Avios at a rate of 1.1p per point??

The Savage Squirrel 569 posts

Wow 1.1p/Avios discount (i.e. 1.1p/Avios cold hard cash in your pocket). That does look useful…

Kowalski 105 posts

I’ve just had a look at a flight using the paying with Cash + Avios option. It’s working out at 0.86p per point for me. You can use Avios to pay up to 50% of the fare

memesweeper 1,255 posts

0.86 , 1.1 … I assume they must tailor somewhat on each booking. BA have tweaked the rates in the past. However, both those rates are better than BA. And with no availability troubles that’s attractive to me.

Thanks for feeding back @Cfrost @Kowalski

Aston100 1,388 posts

Did a number of number of dummy bookings to SE Asia for summer 2023 in both Business and Economy.
    Getting a consistent value of 0.84 pence per Avios.

This is better than Nectar, but unfortunately the flight prices are eye-watering right now – over £1k for economy and somewhere between £3k and £5k for business.
    These flights also earn somewhere between 6k and 14k avios depending on Economy or Business (or at least the cheapest type of ticket in those 2 cabins).

Also, this article shouldn’t be under BAEC should it?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.