Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Can I release Avios from a Future Travel Voucher?

• ed_fly 201 posts

Is there an easy way to get avios tied up in a FTV back? I’ve got 24,000 Avios in an FTV, but no cash. I’d prefer the Avios back in my account, rather than having to try and call to book when I want to use the Avios. Could I try and use the FTV to use as close to 24,000 Avios with a £0.50 fee and then just cancel the ticket and get the Avios back for effectively a £0.50 charge?

ChrisC 956 posts

Well you’d have to call them to use the FTV up on a new booking in the first place. And then call to cancel your new ticket.

tiriavpo 312 posts

Yes there is – you can cancel a reward-based FTV just the same as cancelling the original flight. You get everything refunded minus a £35pp fee. Not sure how you have no cash in the FTV but if you mean the fees were originally less than that, that is all you lose.

ed_fly 201 posts

Thanks for the input both. @tiriavpo i swapped from peak to off peak dates. Received a small refund of taxes, but the Avios I believe is sitting in an ftv.

SteveJ 977 posts

Book a single reward flight with lowest possible cash and lowest Avios. Your remainder Avios will be returned to your account.

You can then cancel the new booking and lock in a smaller amount of Avios + cash into a new FTV.

You’ll need to decide how much cash you want to lock up to minimise the Avios locked up. I can see why you’d want to do this though, as whenever you use your FTV it’s a pain and you need to call, whereas the Avios in your account you can use as you see fit.

Mikeact 229 posts

What is the current validity date of FTV’s ? I’m looking to cancel an Avios ticket and will be happy to keep the FTV in my account for the time being.

SteveJ 977 posts

End of Sept 2023

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Mikeact 229 posts

Thanks Steve, for your prompt response.
    And if BA cancel ? ..which would be no problem for me..same date ?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.