Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Resetting the click for BAPP 241

• can 506 posts

Years ago, I realise now, I made a silly mistake and took out my BAPP in November. I didn’t care, because school holidays was not a concern. Now it is. And if the 241 voucher is reset each November, I cannot book flights for the summer. So, I want to cancel my BAPP now, and reapply in July/August.

Does that make sense? Does that really reset my clock? I’ve got my last 241 voucher in Jan/Feb.

George K 289 posts

So you want to effectively change the start of the 12-month earning period to July/August? If so, then cancelling and reapplying is fine. Although considering 241s have a two year validity, it shouldn’t make any difference when you earn it, presumably? But if you’ve already got one 241 in the bag, yes, you’d have to wait till November to start the eligible spending counter again. If you cancel and reapply, you can start again sooner than that.

NorthernLass 7,537 posts

Do you travel with a partner or other adult you could refer as Player 2? 2 vouchers per year are very handy when you are limited to travelling in school holidays. But as @GeorgeK says, there’s no problem with cancelling and re-applying to align your preferred dates. Obviously you have the 2 year validity – pre-pandemic we used to trigger one voucher around June/July then use it in August to book the next year’s trip so I’m guessing you are in a similar position.

Froggee 901 posts

Is November not about perfect? Nine months spend takes you to August to trigger a voucher which would be valid for two years. In August you’d be able to book flights for July the following year.

The voucher validity is from when it is triggered, not the year-end on your BAPP account.

Unless you are struggling to put through £10k in a year, November seems pretty decent to me. If you need the full year to get to £10k then I can see November not being ideal.

TGLoyalty 514 posts

To answer you question yes if you cancel (not downgrade) and reapply your anniversary will be whenever you reapply.

can 506 posts

Thanks.

1. I already churned my vouchers.

2. Player 2 is taking a break from Amex to reset her 2 year clock.

3. I have big spends + hmrc coming in for the fall. So I can get the voucher before Christmas and hope for something for the school holidays in 2023.

can 506 posts

And sorry for the typo: “click” must read “clock”

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.