Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Virgin Flying Club Problems with Virgin Atlantic Reward+ credit card application

• Bob53 4 posts

Hi I applied for a reward+ account when the bonus was being offered back in October I used my card towards a car so reached the 3000 within a month. My first statement arrived expecting the bonus to be applied much to my horror the statement just had 6080.01 points when it should have been 38160
    Ringing Virgin countless times they said I only applied for the reward card not the plus card another one said the card is a reward+ card due to the card number and I have the card with the with the wing engine on it not the tail fin or whatever. After countless promises of sorting it and ringing me back… nothing so I have raised a complaint which they say will take 8 weeks (for a simple problem) I feel someone made a mistake with not applying the bonus and wrong account as I wouldn’t even consider the basic account. Not using the card until this is sorted
    Basically I hold the reward plus card but not the benefit (haven’t been charged for the card as yet)
    So question
    Anyone else having this problem
    and can anyone confirm the card with the engine on is only for reward plus accounts
    Thanks cheers Bob

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    James_LHR 5 posts

Not had that particular problem, but have had a complaint upheld with Virgin CC. Push for points or compensation when the complaints dept offer a resolution as it sounds like their mistake.

PJJ 29 posts

Did you receive 1.5 points per £ spent on your 1st statement ?
    If so you will have the + card

AFKAE 145 posts

Hi I applied for a reward+ account when the bonus was being offered back in October I used my card towards a car so reached the 3000 within a month. My first statement arrived expecting the bonus to be applied much to my horror the statement just had 6080.01 points when it should have been 38160
    Ringing Virgin countless times they said I only applied for the reward card not the plus card another one said the card is a reward+ card due to the card number and I have the card with the with the wing engine on it not the tail fin or whatever. After countless promises of sorting it and ringing me back… nothing so I have raised a complaint which they say will take 8 weeks (for a simple problem) I feel someone made a mistake with not applying the bonus and wrong account as I wouldn’t even consider the basic account. Not using the card until this is sorted
    Basically I hold the reward plus card but not the benefit (haven’t been charged for the card as yet)
    So question
    Anyone else having this problem
    and can anyone confirm the card with the engine on is only for reward plus accounts
    Thanks cheers Bob

Don’t forget that within a month the number of points is restricted to your credit limit.

Blindman67 135 posts

It looks like from the adverts for the card application

https://uk.virginmoney.com/cards/products/vaa-cards/

That the Reward Card (Fee free) is the Tail fin and the Reward + is the Engine nacelle.

I have the + card and it is the Engine nacelle

If you have not been charged for the card yet that would suggest it is the Reward card only.

As has been said on the first statement how many points did you get per £?

TimM 52 posts

From Rob’s notes on the 30k bonus for spending £3k in 90 days:
    “Big spenders should note that your monthly points earning is capped by your credit limit. What this means, in plain English, is that if your limit is £10,000, the maximum number of points you can earn per month is 7,500 on the free card and 15,000 on the paid card. If you spend £10,000 every 10 days and then pay off your balance mid-cycle, you will not earn miles on your spending above £10,000. This is unlikely to be an issue for 99% of people”
    [https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/10/12/30000-virgin-points-from-credit-card/]

I am in the other 1%. I was given a credit limit of £1,000. Because only the monthly credit limit spend counts towards the 15k bonus, I am doomed to fall short of £3k credit limit spending in 90 days (I was stuffed by an unexpected refund in the first month – too late to do anything about). My plan had been to ask for a credit limit increase in month 3 but I see Virgin Money will not consider an increase in the first 6 months. Any ideas? Should I spend over £3k in 90 days then plead for a little flexibility?

Jipster 37 posts

I was given a credit limit of £1,000. Because only the monthly credit limit spend counts towards the 15k bonus, I am doomed to fall short of £3k credit limit spending in 90 days

No that’s incorrect, you can spend 1k pay it off spentd another 1k, pay it off etc all within a few weeks. As long as you pay it off you can spend more. It’s only the points that are capped, not spending as long as its within the limit

TimM 52 posts

I was given a credit limit of £1,000. Because only the monthly credit limit spend counts towards the 15k bonus, I am doomed to fall short of £3k credit limit spending in 90 days

No that’s incorrect, you can spend 1k pay it off spentd another 1k, pay it off etc all within a few weeks. As long as you pay it off you can spend more. It’s only the points that are capped, not spending as long as its within the limit

I am trying to achieve the 15k points bonus!

RobL 72 posts

You should get the 15k points bonus if you spend (overspend) £3k during the required period.

What you won’t get is the full allocation of monthly points.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    TimM 52 posts

You should get the 15k points bonus if you spend (overspend) £3k during the required period.

What you won’t get is the full allocation of monthly points.

Ah, back in business! That changes everything. Thanks.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.