Reward point question / Platinum Cashback question
8th July 2023 at 15:33kieranbrookess 1 post
I have held the Platinum cash back for a few years. In on of the articles it mentions you will receive the reward points for Amex Gold if you have not held another Amex reward point card. As the Platinum cash back is not a reward point card, would I still receive the benefit?
Also – bonus question! If I cancel my cash back card, what happens to the cash back I have banked?
Kieran8th July 2023 at 15:39alig4th 322 posts
If you get an AMEX Gold you will collect MR points with every pound spent, but you won’t get the sign up bonus (if that’s what you’re asking). Either you’re looking at old forum posts (several years ago) or misinformed people are commenting… They changed the rules several years back meaning you won’t gets a sign up bonus on the Gold if you’ve held any personal AMEX in the last 24 months (a very quick read of the T&C of the card will make this very clear).
As for cashback on your cashback card, that’s credited at the end of the card year after the anniversary, so if you cancel before that point you lose any cashback earned (again, a very quick look at the T&C will make this very obvious)8th July 2023 at 19:22Rob2,194 postsHfP Staff
If you have Platinum Cashback then the only bonuses you may qualify for are The Platinum Card (£575 credit card) or the BA Premium Plus card.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Interview: Sir Tim Clark, CEO Emirates, on his new Business Class, success of Premium Economy
New to Head for Points?
Welcome! We’re the UK’s most-read source of business travel, Avios, frequent flyer and hotel loyalty news. Let us improve how you travel. Got any questions? Ask them in our forums.
Latest Forum Posts
- yorkshireRich on Chat thread – Saturday 2nd March
- curiously on Best Amex option for my wife?
- t42 on Heathrow and Hong Kong lounges for first status trip
- Richie on Seeking advice on tier points strategy
- LeeClarke1 on Seeking advice on tier points strategy
- Bill_B on Avios not refunded
- BBbetter on Apple iPhone 15 offer on Platinum card?
- BA Flyer IHG Stayer on Avios not refunded
- damboy5 on Apple iPhone 15 offer on Platinum card?
- Richie on Exec Club year resets – What happens to bonus tier points for BA Holidays?
Check reward flight availability instantly for free!
Booking a luxury hotel?
Our luxury hotel booking service offers you GUARANTEED extra benefits over booking direct. Works with Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, The Ritz Carlton, St Regis and more. We've booked £1.7 million of rooms to date. Click for details.