Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards Sanity check a Curve noob’s questions

• masaccio 719 posts

So the whole Curve thing has passed me by but re-looking I am trying to figure out why as it seems a steal for me at least. Looking ahead to a Central America trip I think all this applies:

* I can charge through to my BAPP at any retailer that accepts Mastercard and get full Avios
    * I get decent travel insurance including Covid cover (Cedar Tree costs me £180)
    * Car insurance including CDW (seems worth £100) though unclear if this covers the car getting stolen
    * Cash withdrawals get me BAPP Avios up to the monthly limit
    * No FX fees. Current budget suggests about £5k will be spent during the trip so at 3% that’s £150 in itself
    * And completely unrelated to the trip but we spend so much with them, I can get 1% cash back from Amazon

All that more than pays for the most expensive card. £430 minus card fee saved plus extra Avios just on that one (albeit unusually long) trip.

Am I missing something obvious or have I really missed out on a good offer for a long time?

NorthernLass 7,461 posts

You seem to have missed that you can’t use Amex with Curve!

masaccio 719 posts

You seem to have missed that you can’t use Amex with Curve!

Well that’s bloody important then! Maybe that’s what I dismissed it for last time. Ah well.

jj 516 posts

But you can do all of the above while linked to a Barclays Avios card or to a Virgin Mastercard which works pretty well.

Unfortunately, the travel insurance is worthless for me as it has a very unusual exclusion that says sports cover (eg skiing, cycling, sailing, hiking) only applies if the sporting activity isn’t the main reason for travelling. For most people that’s not a problem, but I thought I’d bring it to your attention just in case.

masaccio 719 posts

Unfortunately, the travel insurance is worthless for me as it has a very unusual exclusion that says sports cover (eg skiing, cycling, sailing, hiking) only applies if the sporting activity isn’t the main reason for travelling. For most people that’s not a problem, but I thought I’d bring it to your attention just in case.

Scuba clauses are often useless in these things. I read one that covered 2 dives to 18m per policy year. Which is why I have DAN instead. I guess that dive restriction is for people with no sense who want to do Discover Scuba a couple of times on holiday without realising just how stupid that programme is.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.