Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Slightly oversize luggage …. will it be accepted?

• Aerotec 36 posts

Hi all,

I’m over in Barcelona at Xmas and I’m wanting to bring home a box that is 98x38x33cm and BA states max checked luggage size is 90x75x43cm.

Are check in staff relaxed about it being slightly over? Or will they want to grab a ruler and measure it up?

Thanks! Richard

NorthernLass 7,492 posts

I’ve found this on ba.com.

***The maximum dimensions for an oversize bag in the hold are 190 x 75 x 65cm.

Bags larger than the standard size but within these maximum dimensions are known as out-of-gauge bags. They’re accepted as part of your checked baggage allowance but must be checked in at the out-of-gauge bag drop at least 90 minutes before your flight to ensure they travel with you.

You don’t need to let us know in advance that you’re bringing a larger bag or item, but you must get to the airport early to check it in***

That said, I’ve never seen check in bags be measured and 8 cm isn’t massive so you may be ok at the normal bag drop. But either way it doesn’t look like it’ll be a problem.

Aerotec 36 posts

Ah that’s just what I needed to know!

Thanks so much!

Richard

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.