Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards Stamp duty payments

• sm 178 posts

About to complete on a property early next week and I wondered if it would be too late to ask my solicitor if I can pay it directly myself? My new Tesco clubcard pay+ Card is on its way to me! Hopefully be here by the weekend.

The solicitor is adamant I should pay via bank transfer.

I see on the gov.Uk website you need a UTRN which is apparently on the SDLT5 certificate. I wasn’t sure if that would allow me to pay or only allows the solicitor to pay. I am aware you can fill out a form SDLT3 on line but it seems as though you have to register to pay stamp duty and that can take 10 working days.

Any help or advice appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

AndyGWP 276 posts

*following*

(similar situation, but can’t decide if it will be too much faff)

Carlos 758 posts

Payment method Time allowance
    Approve a payment through your online bank account Same or next day
    Online or Faster Payments Same or next day
    Bacs 3 working days
    CHAPS Same or next day
    Online debit or corporate credit card Same or next day
    At your bank or building society Same or next day
    By cheque through the post 3 working days

Online debit or corporate credit card
    You can pay online.

There’s a non-refundable fee if you pay by corporate credit or corporate debit card.

There’s no fee if you pay by personal debit card.

You cannot pay by personal credit card.

If you’re unable to make full payment by credit or debit card you’ll have to pay a different way.

You’ll need your 11-character UTRN. You’ll find this on your paper return or on your electronic SDLT5 certificate.

HMRC will accept your payment on the date you make it and not the date it reaches HMRC’s account, including on bank holidays and weekends.

Making a card payment — getting your details correct
    We have recently made some changes as part of HMRC’s commitment to ensuring the security of online payments. Customers need to make sure the details they are entering are correct and match those held by your bank or card provider for example the billing address should be the one to which your card is currently registered.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pay-stamp-duty-land-tax

sm 178 posts

Thanks for that. My solicitor is happy to give me the number on the date of completion. 😊 She tells me I have 14 days to pay or risk paying a fine of £100.

Does anyone know if I can just pay using the 11 digit number UTRN on the SDLT5 or do I need an actual account on gov.uk website? I’ve had a look on ‘pay on line’ option and it seems as though you just have to enter the number plus the amount. Doesn’t seem to ask for sign in or login.

Thanks so much in advance.

Thegasman 204 posts

You don’t need an account if you have the UTRN. Make sure payments clear within 14 days or you’ll get £100 penalty (speaking from experience). You need to make final payment at least 2 working days in advance with a debit card.

laughingplace 28 posts

I assume, like with other HMRC payments, they are happy for you to split the balance up into multiple transactions?

sm 178 posts

You don’t need an account if you have the UTRN. Make sure payments clear within 14 days or you’ll get £100 penalty (speaking from experience). You need to make final payment at least 2 working days in advance with a debit card.

Thank you thegasman. Hopefully my Tesco card will come by then! 😅

Thegasman 204 posts

I assume, like with other HMRC payments, they are happy for you to split the balance up into multiple transactions?

I have done this twice with no issue to fit with Curve daily limits. Just don’t leave it to last minute.

laughingplace 28 posts

Great stuff, thank you.

Tom H 9 posts

Did you end up doing this? I ve got a reasonable size STD to pay, and this would be a good way to earn some points if it works and curve doesn’t stop working

Thegasman 204 posts

It will still earn points on certain (Branson related) underlying cards based on my very recent experience paying a different tax bill.

You’ll be limited to £10k though unless you can get your 14 day payment window to straddle two months.

Tom H 9 posts

Ah thanks! I thought I would be able to put 7.5k through a day which is my CRV limit. And use Hong Long behind it with regular overpayments. The 14 day window in which to pay though maybe to tight

SamG 1,644 posts

HK doesn’t award points on HMRC tax payments via Curve, not sure if SD will work

polly 289 posts

Hi guys,

If your solicitor is willing, they may accept prepayments on account. I managed last summer to prepay the estate agents and SDLT fees as prepayments. Used a certain amount from HSBC WE, and my 2k daily curve allowance. They were quite amused, but accepted the challenge.
    Did the same helping daughter s with rent, prepaid agents up front using a combination of both cards too. Even tho my curve fronts WE.
    The ONLY issue was waiting for HSBC to clear the payments, so l could transfer funds to top up credit. That frustrated me as l lost out on 2 large payments doe to WE archaic clearing process. V annoying. But managed to get the bulk of it in avios from WE. Very satisfactory outcome.
    But, you need time, so if they are willing, start prepayments on ac tomorrow!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.