Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Other frequent flyer schemes TAP cancelled flight and brought flight forward a day

• Terwri 23 posts

A friend was due to fly from Spain to Tel Aviv via Lisbon. Her first leg to Lisbon was cancelled and she was offered and accepted a day earlier departure for the whole trip. Can she assume that EU261 applies for an earlier departure by 24 hours ?

NorthernLass 7,573 posts

Compensation only applies if the cancellation was less than 14 days before the flight so that would be the first thing to establish. There are 2/3 long threads on here which cover what seems to happen if your departure is brought forward as opposed to being delayed.

JDB 4,374 posts

In addition to the above, in the event that EC261 compensation is due, and the airline doesn’t pay, you would need to pursue via arbitration/court in the EU, as UK courts wouldn’t have jurisdiction.

NorthernLass 7,573 posts

I believe @meta has some experience with TAP cancellations!

meta 1,439 posts

Flights brought forward by at least 60 minutes are eligible for EU compensation. However, the cancellation/notification has to be within 14 days. Duty of care applies regardless.

Regarding TAP, they are probably the worst to deal with. They will not respond to your email or letter before action. If you call them, they will just hang up at the mere mention of EU compensation or direct you to a department that never answers the phone (both my experience and many others). TAP accounts have been frozen in Germany because they had 1 million euros in unpaid judgments on EU261.

My experience – cancelled flight and asked for refund, no response at all (gave them 40 days), so I did S75 claim.

More to it, under EU261 you can only sue in the country of arrival or departure, so Spain or Israel.

Terwri 23 posts

Thank you all

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.