Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Thai AirAsia or Thai Smile?

• ChrisBCN 233 posts

I have some internal Thailand flights coming up and my booking options are Thai AirAsisa or Thai Smile. Which is the better airline?

Thanks in advance!

Richie 970 posts

You may get Star Alliance points on Thai Smile.

SamG 1,639 posts

Thai Smile is the low cost arm of the national carrier so I’d have a slight preference for them (especially if you’ve got bags IIRC they were free or cheaper than AirAsia) but really much of a muchness so go with whatever suits your schedule

What I will say is I wouldn’t rush to book far in advance, you may not get a cash refund if they cancel and the prices don’t really change. I’ve got an unfortunate large amount of AirAsia credit that I’m never going to use !

Aston100 1,374 posts

Thai Smile PE tickets look like good value. Lounge, priority check-in, fast track, up front seating and onboard f&b included.
    Sounds identical to shorthaul business class within Europe.

I was trying to decide between Bangkok Airways, Air Asia, Vietjet and Thai Smile.
    Considering I’ll be travelling with 3 suitcases / 60kg, it wasn’t hugely more to go Premium Economy with Thai Smile compared to economy (plus additional baggage costs) with the others.
    Plus, they allow interlining with Thai and also Lufty group.

YFP 29 posts

Thai Smile is the low cost arm of the national carrier so I’d have a slight preference for them (especially if you’ve got bags IIRC they were free or cheaper than AirAsia) but really much of a muchness so go with whatever suits your schedule

What I will say is I wouldn’t rush to book far in advance, you may not get a cash refund if they cancel and the prices don’t really change. I’ve got an unfortunate large amount of AirAsia credit that I’m never going to use !

Is there anyway you can transfer that credit? Happy to get you some cash back in exchange for the credit for some flights I’d like to book?

Super Secret Stuff 365 posts

Thai smile is probably the best bet. I’ve been on Vietjet and we were delayed 2 hours and it’s basically an easyjet flight, nothing speacial at all

ChrisBCN 233 posts

Thanks for the advice everybody, much appreciated!

SamG 1,639 posts

Is there anyway you can transfer that credit? Happy to get you some cash back in exchange for the credit for some flights I’d like to book?

Just checked and it can be user by others now. Valid until 5th June 2023 It’s about 300 quid, I’d be delighted to get 100 quid for it! I originally booked with trip.com, they’ve put into two “credit accounts” that you can log into and book what you need. Perhaps ask Rob to share your email if you’re interested

YFP 29 posts

Hey @SamG, sent multiple messages that haven’t gone through, so hope this does! I’m happy for my email address to be shared, put more details in the other messages so hopefully gets released from modqueue soon!

BJ 657 posts

Air Asia because they have greater frequencies to more destinations than Smile, often with a choice of DMK or BKK. Their on time performance IME is much better. Their fares were generally lower but during pandemic fares were similar across domestic carriers. Flexible fares are reasonable and include hot seat at front, priority boarding, food onboar and checked bags. Walk up fares are also reasonable IMO. Even if booking a regular fare I would reserve a hot seat at front and try the food as it is surprisingly good and dirt cheap (you preorder at time of booking). I still have a soft spot for DMK, it’s all so relaxed and I think punctuality is likely better than BKK. You can get to either by Skytrain or taxi. Air Asia book with confidence ended 28/2 in most markets IIRC. I had zero problems refunding cancelled flights to an Air Asia credit account and subsequently using it for new bookings. Thai Smile is only a Connecting Partner in *A, you can collect miles on Thai Royal Orchid but I am not sure about other partners.

YFP 29 posts

Hey @SamG, trying again to see if you’d see this. @Rob, happy for my email to be shared with SamG, trying to help liberate some of his AirAsia credit!

The real Swiss Tony 650 posts

A long time since I’ve been to Thailand, but as I recall, domestic lounges (and indeed the J cabin) don’t come with booze. Also is Bangkok Airways not an option? Always enjoyed my flights with them and didn’t used to feel like a LCC….

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.