Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Tier points awarded either side of a collection year end date?

• davidn 12 posts

Apologies if this is a basic question, but I can’t yet find a definitive answer.

Does an outbound (cash) flight taken before a tier point collection year end award half the tier points — and therefore the necessary amount for a status upgrade, in this case — immediately, even if the return flight occurs after the end of the collection year? Thanks in advance! (Parents chasing Silver…)

davefl 1,218 posts

TPs are awarded per flight segment. So you’ll get the outward TP a few days after the flight in theory. The return leg will be awarded a few days after they take that flight.

As far as BA are concerned for TPs those flights are just completely seperate entities even though they may be on one ticket

dougzz99 623 posts

All that matter is the date of the individual flight. If it’s 8th or before it’s in your current year. If it’s 9th or after it’s the next year.

NorthernLass 7,544 posts

As per @davefl – TPs and avios for your outbound flight will post a couple of days after you take the flight, before you take your inbound flight unless your trip is very short. I had a trip which straddled my collection year in July – TPs for the outbound leg posted then disappeared 5 days later!

davidn 12 posts

Thanks all. Initially this sounded positive, but as it will, I think, be quite a short trip, the NorthernLass’ disappearing TPs doesn’t sound so good, hmm.

nectar collector 282 posts

I think @NorthernLass just means that her outbound leg Tier Points disappeared after 5 days because her new collection year started and all prior points are therefore zeroed.

As @Dougzz99 says, the important thing is that for status purposes the Tier points will ‘count’ based on the date of the flight, not the date they actually post into your account

NorthernLass 7,544 posts

Yes – so outbound flight was 30/6, TPs were credited 3/7 then removed on 8/7 when the TP year ended. I then flew the inbound on 18/7 and those TPs are now valid for this collection year.

davidn 12 posts

Got it! Thanks everyone for your input — very much appreciated. They will be happy. 🙂

DANIELPA 1 post

So I have an end date of July 8th tier collection, looking to book double tier points holiday leaving 5 July. Will I get the 80 tier points for my first flight, and then 80 plus 160 in my next collection year?

AJA 1,070 posts

So I have an end date of July 8th tier collection, looking to book double tier points holiday leaving 5 July. Will I get the 80 tier points for my first flight, and then 80 plus 160 in my next collection year?

If it’s working correctly you should receive half of the double tier points backdated to the date of the outbound flight. But as with all things BA you never know.

If you really need the double TP to post in your new year I would only book the outbound for 9 Jul or later.

NorthernLass 7,544 posts

My TP year is also July and I did a trip which spanned the year end back in the summer. It might have been because at that time there was a problem with awarding the double TPs, but I got them as follows: 140 for the outbound a couple of days after flying, then 140 + 40 + 320 shortly after the inbound (Long haul plus short haul plus double TPs). This happened to fall right at the beginning of the TP year so was obviously very convenient for me as I then only needed 2 SH legs to get Silver.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,075 posts

I recently Completed a trip where the return flight was on the last the last day of my collection year.

The usual TPs from the flight posted as normal and were then reset.

The 80TP bonus (40 + 40) posted 14 days after the outbound into my new year and are still showing.

A nice little extra start to my new year as I just assumed they’d be wiped out.

They seem to be posting the entire bonus TPs 14 days after the outbound rather than as separate transactions relating to each flight.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.