Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Total Newbie Question – Getting confused trying to use Avios

• RobinL 3 posts

Hi everyone,

I’ve got 97,000 Avios and am looking to use them the best way I can for return flights to Morocco for myself and wife.

After reading the recent email from HfP with the subject “How would the HfP team spend 100,000 Avios?” I saw that Rob gave an example of a long weekend to Morocco flying Club Europe for 4 people.

Rob also has a a rule of thumb of valuing Avios at 1p and provided an image that showed the pricing options using Cash and Avios

When I search for flights however the best offer I get is £360 off for 73000 which is a low 0.49p per Avios. Also, I don’t get the flights and pricing options displayed the way they were for Rob in his article. For me, they are displayed like this:

avios

Am I doing something wrong or am I expecting too much of a saving from Avios? I was thinking if I have almost 100,000 Avios that would save me £1,000 on flights but it doesn’t seem like it.

Thanks.

harley 109 posts

Welcome! What you need to do is select the option on your executive club to book a flight totally with avios – what you are doing now is booking a cash ticket and discounting with avios. There will be a drop down on your exec account to ‘book an avios redemption’ you will then see different options

RobinL 3 posts

Thank you Harley!

It seems so obvious now. As silly as it sounds, I think that was the only search I didn’t do – doh!

I’ve just booked my tickets and got an Avios redemption value of 0.89p – I’m super happy 🙂

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.