Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Marriott Bonvoy Type of upgrade with Marriott Platinum Elite status

• krys_k 35 posts

Its probably a bit of a ‘how long is piece of string’ question, in that there isn’t one answer, but would be interested in what type of upgrade one could expect with Platinum Elite (that I gained for the first time in mid December, thanks to some work related travel to Birmingham, Aloft and AC, starting in September)…I just booked the cheapest room at the Westin in Warsaw for seven nights in early January (I usually stay at the Novotel Centrum – I like the central location, and many of the bars near there are great) that comes with a ‘upgrade if room is available’ (irrespective of status). Platinum comes with a room upgrade “we’ll do our best to upgrade your room (including Select Suite)”, so is a suite likely (handy as will be travelling with wife and daughter). Many thanks for any insight shared.

TGLoyalty 494 posts

If it was a one night stay I’d say a suite would be possible. 7 nights very unlikely.

meta 1,426 posts

Depends on the hotel. I have been upgraded to top suites as Platinum on 7+ night stays. In general, I always contact the hotel in advance or on the day of arrival and get upgraded almost every time.

tomb7198 21 posts

It depends on the hotel really. It’s always great to check the number of suites at each property – the Westin Warsaw doesn’t have as many suites as the Sheraton or Marriott. At the same time, the local Sheraton doesn’t really like to give suite upgrades from my experience and from what I heard from others. Marriott is likely to give a junior – perhaps corner – suite upgrade (a room with a sofa), but it’s not not exactly amazing apart from the views.

If I were you, I’d probably go for the Sheraton. The location is great, the executive lounge is outstanding (one of the best ones I’ve been to since the pandemic started, with a number of hot food choices – changing daily), and the in-room breakfast is de facto free of charge – you just need to pay a £5 supplement for the in-room delivery. The rooms are well decorated and relatively new.

However, as a Platinum, you’re unlikely to get a ‘full’ suite upgrade. A junior suite (big room with a sofa) is likely, but don’t expect more. Nevertheless, the Sheraton is significantly better than Marriott or the Westin. I’m coming to Warsaw myself in a few weeks (once again) and I’m going to stay at the Sheraton (again).

Kowalski 105 posts

I’ve stayed at the Westin in Warsaw a few times with Platinum, Titanium and finally Ambassador status and have never been given a suite upgrade even for a 1 night stay. I no longer stay there as it’s one of the least generous Hotels I’ve known in terms of upgrades.

I’ve always been given nice upgrades at The Sheraton Grand in Warsaw. At the Marriott you will very likely be given a corner junior suite room, with great views from the bathroom.

I would recommend cancelling the Westin and Booking the Marriott or Sheraton.

krys_k 35 posts

Thanks for advice (I stayed at the Marriott once, its was like being teleported into the 80s; but maybe rooms have been upgraded in the last three years). I called up Westin and asked what room upgrade I would be given and was told the best that is available, and at the moment the suites are available (and I expect its all rather quiet on the Warsaw hotel front). A note was put on my account to this effect. Let see what happens.

tomb7198 21 posts

Marriott steel feels like it’s stuck in the 80s.

When are you going to stay at the Westin? Let us know how it goes

krys_k 35 posts

I’m there from this Sunday. Will write up a mini-report of what it is like.

krys_k 35 posts

In short, a rather good upgrade in Westin Warsaw. Received the second best suite available (the only suite above is the singular Presidential Suite!). The suite is a modern apartment, nice living room, huge TV, sofa and two armchairs, a business desk; two bathrooms; large bedroom; superb view; welcome gift of 1000 points; a huge wineglass of macaroons and fruit delivered to room; free breakfast for two; lounge access (where the food is rather excellent, and the variety of chocolate truffles astonishingly good), free alcohol between 6pm-8pm, and no more than a table or two occupied throughout the day (have made the lounge my office). Very friendly and helpful staff throughout. Paid about £48 per night. Getting £200+ per night value. And second room purchased for mother in law also given on exec 19th floor, free breakfast et al.

Excellent experience.

Cranzle 273 posts

In short, a rather good upgrade in Westin Warsaw. Received the second best suite available (the only suite above is the singular Presidential Suite!). The suite is a modern apartment, nice living room, huge TV, sofa and two armchairs, a business desk; two bathrooms; large bedroom; superb view; welcome gift of 1000 points; a huge wineglass of macaroons and fruit delivered to room; free breakfast for two; lounge access (where the food is rather excellent, and the variety of chocolate truffles astonishingly good), free alcohol between 6pm-8pm, and no more than a table or two occupied throughout the day (have made the lounge my office). Very friendly and helpful staff throughout. Paid about £48 per night. Getting £200+ per night value. And second room purchased for mother in law also given on exec 19th floor, free breakfast et al.

Excellent experience.

Great result. Was the £48 per night the standard rate you paid on Marriott’s website?
    Also, how much was the second room for your mother in law?

Cranzle 273 posts

Excellent experience.

Great result. Was the £48 per night the standard rate you paid on Marriott’s website?
    Also, how much was the second room for your mother in law?

Would you recommend this hotel to a tourist who is used to staying in high end hotels for a city break?

krys_k 35 posts

Both rooms were around £48, the price fluctuated from one booking to the next, booked a few days apart; in both cases I chose the cheapest room at the cheapest rate. There’s nothing in the rules that we should have received any upgrades for the second room (but I checked and they were good about it, wasn’t going to put mother in law in worst room in hotel, wouldn’t have heard the end of it!).

I’ve spent the last 15 years living in hotels in various parts of the world. Wouldn’t sat its a super top end luxury hotel; but its very good: modern enough rooms (with a few dates touches, guess they held somethings over from pre-renovation), bathrooms dates, great service, jolly good food, decent lounge too. If you want super luxury for tourists, then Bristol is good (not my style, too old school). I like the Rialto for Art Deco style (but its small and boutique).

Kowalski 105 posts

Great result, maybe I’ll give the Warsaw Westin another try one day but always found them to be very stingy with upgrades so gave up on it!

tomb7198 21 posts

It seemed like they’ve treated you quite well! I think I’ll have to give them another go in February. I’ve already booked a stay at the Sheraton later this month.

I’ll give them a ring about the upgrade few days upon the arrival, hopefully it will make a difference

krys_k 35 posts

Id’d be interested to hear about your stay at the Sheraton. upgrade, lounge etc.

tomb7198 21 posts

Id’d be interested to hear about your stay at the Sheraton. upgrade, lounge etc.

Sure! I’ll write a little review here. I’m going to check in on Sunday and checking out on Thursday (and then heading to AC Wroclaw)

tomb7198 21 posts

In the end, I had to cancel my trip to Warsaw. My other comment is pretty recent though – stayed there in December … I’m staying in Krakow a little longer instead, for 7 nights in total, so I’d be happy to write a little review of the local AC (and even of the Wroclaw AC) if you’re interested

krys_k 35 posts

I travel there often enough, so would like to hear about it. Thanks.

tomb7198 21 posts

I travel there often enough, so would like to hear about it. Thanks.

Just so I don’t overwrite, which one(s) are you referring to?

krys_k 35 posts

Krakow please.

tomb7198 21 posts

AC Krakow is definitely my favourite AC Hotel and my experience is better than at a number of other Marriott ‘premium’ brands (or even many 5* Hiltons around Europe, I have a diamond status).

The hotel is very new and modern. It’s a large property with a number of suites, nearly 40 I think, spread across 6 floors in the corners of the building. I have always been upgraded to a suite – standard suite or premium suite. The only difference between the two types is that the bedroom is slightly larger in the premium suite, and the premium suite has a bath as well as a shower – but this might differ depending on the particular suite.

All suites have 2 bathrooms and a massive corner terrace. The suites are very modern, spacious and nicely decorated. All of them have a massive sofa with 2 coffee tables, desk, dining table (and a small bar table-style area in the premium suites as well). The standard suite bedrooms are equipped with a bed and a ‘bench’ while the premium bedrooms have a bed 2 chairs and a table as well. Overall, a modern AC-style but feels more premium in comparison to other ACs. Most suites have a view of the Blonia Park (and if the weather is good, you can see the Royal Castle and the old town in the distance from certain suites).

There is no ‘standard’ lounge but it seems like there is some kind of lounge, but you need to pay to enter (no matter what status you have). I have not tried to find out more but I might ask them about it next time.

The breakfast is outstanding. There is a LOT of choice (both cold and hot food, juices, sparkling wine, fresh veg and fruit, bakery and cakes) + you can always order fresh eggs according to your preference. The quality of food is pretty amazing. Overall, the breakfast is better than at a number of other Marriott/Hilton properties (4 or 5*). You have to pay a little extra (AC so a $10pp credit), but it’s not a lot – extra £3 per person per day. It’s well worth it tho.

There is a rather good swimming pool. It can get a bit crowded during weekends/certain evenings (especially with families and kids).

All staff members are very polite and helpful. I’ve never experienced any issue. Upon the checkout, ask for a printed receipt/ask them to email it to you. Sometimes, the night credits and points don’t post automatically – but it’s easy to solve this by contacting Marriott Bonvoy (10 days after checkout), normally they post the missing nights/points within 24h. Seems like it’s an IT issue of some kind – might be because the hotel is relatively new and the system is not working well. After my second stay, I had to reach AMEX as I didn’t receive the bonus points (using MB AMEX CC) – it seemed like they didn’t add the property code to their system yet, but they’ve fixed it after I contacted them.

As you probably know, the hotel is located next to the Blonia Park, so it’s not ’super’ close to the old town. However, it’s well connected by trams (5 min walk, 7 min journey to the Main Square). Uber/FreeNow/Bolt is pretty cheap or you can walk if the weather is good (it took me around 20-25 min to reach the Main Square).

It’s definitely one of my favourite hotels. The rates are pretty good. I’ve done 4 stays so far (ranging from 1 to 7 nights) and I’ve paid anything between £40-60 per one night.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.