Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Virgin Flying Club Using Virgin Points on partners – any sweet spots to look out for?

• Whatsthepoint 122 posts

With the new Barclaycard cards coming out, I am probably going to switch my non-Amex strategy from Virgin to Barclaycard as Avios are generally more valuable to me due to my regular companion vouchers earned. This will leave me with approx 250k Virgin points. I have already used 2 upgrade vouchers for a future trip. As I am not based in London, I was thinking about KLM or Air France flights From Amsterdam/Paris and simply hop over to connect (not on same ticket), to avoid high taxes but I also heave heard that one way redemptions from Delta also could work too. Does anyone else have any experience/knowledge of how to extract the best value from Virgin miles in these sorts of ways? Also, is anyone else thinking of changing strategy?

memesweeper 1,254 posts

Air France and KLM look to be poor value given their high taxes/charges, I’d not bother unless it was a niche route, eg KLM to Indonesia, or the Dutch Caribbean.

Singapore is only useful if you are prepared to fly economy.

ANA is the partner for best value long haul in a premium cabin. Sadly Coronavirus killed my plans to exploit this.

Delta has good value within the US. I’ve heard rumours of low-tax/charges redemptions on Delta if you go via continental Europe, but not looked into this.

It seems that all round the world availability is tight right now in premium cabins if you are looking to book more than two or three months ahead. Whatever the sweetspots, if you see something you like, IMO you should just book it — now is not the time to be “saving up” for a potentially better redemption with a different partner. Some airlines will not survive the next 18 months in their current form.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,198 posts
    RonnieB 288 posts

I have a number of domestic US flights booked this summer with Delta through VA and where they are available they are great value with low taxes of $5 or so. Good use of FC points.

Whatsthepoint 122 posts

Thanks, I may have a good use for US domestic flights coming up, so that looks promising.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.