Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Viator

• FatherOfFour 276 posts

Has anybody used Viator for excursions? I have an offer on my Amex (spend 130, get 30 back)

Offer ends in June, my trip is November. I assumed I could pay in advance, but I’m not sure if paying up front takes away the flexibility that is offered with the simple “reserve and pay later” option.

Other than that, the prices look competitive, but is it better for the local economy if I book direct?

Peggerz 98 posts

I can’t answer your question on payment. I too have the offer on my Amex and was thinking the same.
    However, Viator is a good way of small travel businesses getting a wider audience and therefore an increase in bookings. I know that they take a large chunk of the cost you are paying for the service, though to be fair to Viator they have set up and monitor the website, encouraging those registered. I am also aware the more service providers are willing to pay Viator as a percentage of their ‘take’ then the more visible they are on the website.
    I’d say have a look to see if the excursion you are looking at may have a website of their own. They may make similar or more money direct, while it could cost you less.
    Also, if you still go down the Viator route I saw one of the websites like Voldemort or similar, had a 10% offer on Viator the other day too. This could help you too. As long as it’s still £130+.

NorthernLass 7,463 posts

I’ve used Viator before, no issues and at the time you could get a good chunk of avios – I don’t know if they are still an earning partner?

FatherOfFour 276 posts

Thanks both. I looked at one tour company and their price on their own website was very similar, so it’s a choice of “book via Viator” for convenience and possible cashback or “book direct” via emailing to and fro’ but to ensure the tour company gets a bigger cut.

kitten 5 posts

I used them in Rome to book personal guided walking tours for a very fussy family over 10 years ago booking from London. The family were so impressed. Viator provided exactly the style of personalised experience we specified for the 2 or 3 days required. A different guide each day, very knowledgeable but light and informal. Actually they were students as suggested by Viator which was a good age to relate to the 2 students in the family as well as the parents.

The family actually did another trip to Rome the following year as they wanted the same experience again.

Whether you’d get the same I don’t know but if I had the same problem again even in another city I’d call them.

davefl 1,217 posts

Has anybody used Viator for excursions? I have an offer on my Amex (spend 130, get 30 back)

Offer ends in June, my trip is November. I assumed I could pay in advance, but I’m not sure if paying up front takes away the flexibility that is offered with the simple “reserve and pay later” option.

Other than that, the prices look competitive, but is it better for the local economy if I book direct?

I use Viator regularly. They’re ok but sometimes you’ll need to google the tour company’s website for more accurate descriptions. I dont think the companies care if you book direct or not. They’ve never given any indication.

I booked 4 tours in Jan to get my credit on Amex, all pay upfront. Then in feb 3 of the 4 tours were cancelled by the operator due to bad weather or the fact they didnt want to run the tour for just 1 person. All were handled ok and refunds back to Amex within a couple of days… then of course the Amex credit was reversed too.

davefl 1,217 posts

For anyone looking at Viator at the moment, TCB have 20% cashback which will stack with the AMEX offer

merlin90 16 posts

I’ve used Viator before without any issue, most recently in Aruba in September. There’s usually some kind of discount available, whether it’s an Amex offer or a cashback deal from one of the usual sites.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.