Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• frankiemac 2 posts

I want 2go to Vic falls in Sept from London on a ‘safe’ airline. I have alot of avios so could go via Joburg but there is also a Eurowings options via Frankfurt i dont think avios would be any good for that unless I used them London to Frankfurt and picked up Eurowings flight there. Any suggestions, ideas or warnings appreciated. Not keen on Ethiopian air from confidence point of view..happy for land travel if it is not overly risky

Amy C 372 posts

Not sure what sort of risk you are concerned about? Actual physical safety or cancellations etc. There is so much choice from Jo’berg I think that’s your best bet.
    I was there at the falls in May, spectacular but a bit too much fall if you catch my drift. Have also been in October and there wasn’t that much so I think September will be perfect.

bartas8891 37 posts

I flew over 100k with Ethiopian and never had any problems except a few things got stolen from my toiletry bag. ADD also has a new business lounge if you have status in *A and the connections for flights in Africa are not that long usually around 3 hours.
    I flew BA to Victoria Falls and came back with Ethiopian and did not have any problems. You could either fly to VFA or LVI (there are two airports).
    If you want to eliminate some risks then avoiding Addis Abeba and Johannesburg is probably a good option.
    Taxi from VFA cost $30 (flat rate).

Wally1976 188 posts

Via Nairobi might be an option?

zio 249 posts

It’s very much worth visiting, but I have no idea why you would lack confidence in Ethiopian Airlines…?
    If you just want to see the falls you have a choice between seeing them from Zambia or Zimbabwe.
    VFA airport (Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe) is closer to the falls, LVI (Livingstone, Zambia) is about 30km away, but there are hotel options right by the falls.
    The quickest route from the UK will probably be Ethiopian to ADD (unless perhaps you are entering as a Tigrayan, you shouldn’t have any concerns) and on to VFA. You will have more options flying via JHB (as well as being able to use your avios on BA) but it take longer.
    In September you are probably better off viewing from Zimbabwe as flow stays more impressive. However, it is more difficult/expensive to do my favourite thing… Livingstone Island to stand on the edge of the falls…from the Zim side.
    If you are interested and happen to be there on the 9/10/11th the National Park opens at night around the full moon and you might get to see a moonbow (try viewpoint 7).
    Edit- should have said, if interested in the moonbow I think by September the Zambian side has stopped opening at night. It is the best side to see it in July/Aug though.

Bob 54 posts

Avios for your flight to Jo’burg then book the ticket to VFA airport on Fastjet or Airlink. Airlink also available to Livingstone Airport as well.

masaccio 721 posts

We flew Ethiopian last year to get to Tanzania. Their business class was a bit old fashioned but food and service more than made up for that and we really enjoyed the flight.

Otherwise BA to Nairobi and then Kenyan Airways fly Mondays and Fridays NBO-VFA and Sunday/Tuesday NBO-LVI. No idea if the connection timing is sensible as I only did a quick FlightConnections search.

Tracey 211 posts

Comair and South African Airways used to fly JNB to LVI and JNB to VFA.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.