Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Flight changes and cancellations help Virgin cancellation and lost baggage

• harley 110 posts

Asking on behalf of my sister. Was due to fly Wednesday night from america to london on virgin atlantic.

Flight scheduled to leave but kept being delayed at gate, after approx 4 hour delay everyone was told the flight was cancelled. They arranged a hotel as was 4am at this point. They said we could claim for food etc so kept reciepts. One downside was that the hotel forced a normal checkout so only slept 5-11am. They rebooked on the next day flight in evening so was a 1 day delay I believe for this part my sister is entitled for the £500odd compemsation as flight cancelled on day + food?

2. To add to the issues, bag did not arrive on rebooked flight, it has been two days but been promised it should arrive this evening. My understanding is that you can only claim for goods you buy with reciepts which we probably wont do. Is there any flat rate compo or is the only route?

ChrisC 956 posts

Yes she can claim reimbursement for any meals she bought – receipt required

And yes she can claim compensation for the late cancellation and delay.

For a delayed bag there is no compenstion but there is reimbursement for the purchase of essential items.

Lady London 2,035 posts

I believe baggage changes to “lost” at 20 or 21 days from the date your flight landed. At that point it’s claimable per kilo at the rate in either the Warsaw or the Montreal convention.

Also if your luggage is delivered late to you ideally try to check it before signing for it as delayed luggage sitting around can be vulnerable. Air Canada made it administratively impossible to claim – just impossible to get any info or address the claim – after someone took their time and went through all my luggage taking only all the best bits – and they had expertise because not everyone would have known they were the best bits – in the course of my luggage being sat around for 4 extra days when I returned via Canada.

These days I’d know to send a registered letter to any Air Canada address with my claim, but they wore me down and I lost some hard or impossible to replace stuff as I gave up on the claim due to how difficult they made it.

If it’s not practical to go through and check all contents before signing then ensure it’s endorsed so a note goes back to them that the luggage was not able to be checked on delivery. You theoretically have 7 days from delivery to claim but obvs an immediate claim is best.

harley 110 posts

Thanks Both, will be sure to check the baggage when arrives. Will submit claim for cancellation tomorrow as expect they will take a while to reply

harley 110 posts

With cancellation they are hiding behind the weather excuse despite it having nothing to do with the weather , been hitting a brick wall and is impossible to talk to anyone over the phone, does anyone have any exec emails or advise how to escalate or is best option to mcol ?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.