Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Virgin Atlantic Virgin Cash Advance fees about to be applied?

• Alex 46 posts

So what’s the consensus with paying HMRC with Virgin via curve? Cash advance fees applied? Need to make a payment by end of July….

Yes I checked again with a small amount and unfortunately the cash advance fee now applies. Premium bonds, other card top ups which did not have fees at the beginning of the month now get hit too. RIP.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Mankhool 32 posts

Paying VAT and Corp Tax does attract cash advance fee? It was never in the new T&C Email

laughingplace 27 posts

Surprised that paying HMRC would attract cash advance fees. How could it be construed as a ‘cash advance’? Weird.

jj 516 posts

Virgin has been busy, and the loophole I found has finally been closed – as evidenced by a 50p fee when I tried a small test transaction.

It’s a shame, and I can’t see the card being a keeper for me. I don’t have enough non-Amex transactions or other Virgin earnings routes to earn a long-haul flight each year, so it’s not worth paying the annual fee simply to earn a voucher. Fortunately, my shiny new Barclaycard has just arrived, though…

Tracy 315 posts

@Alex, seems odd if its classed as a cash like transaction but if that’s the case then I have no further need for the virgin card….shame

Rui N. 828 posts

Virgin has been busy, and the loophole I found has finally been closed – as evidenced by a 50p fee when I tried a small test transaction.

The minimum cashback fee is £5.

jj 516 posts

The T&C’s may say the minimum fee is £5, but I have a 50p charge on my statement.

Rui N. 828 posts

Well, they’re even more incompetent than we thought then.

CarpalTravel 362 posts

Not more than I thought. Very much in keeping, I’d say. 😏

Daiboy1980 45 posts

Just noticed some whopping charges on my Virgin card and now I am here.
    Two questions
    1) if I go back in time to my HSBC debit card, will Virgin refund the 5% cash advance fee?
    2) any confirmation that HMRC will attract a 5% fee? If so, then Curve is essentially useless to me

Cheers

iEimis 80 posts

Two questions
    1) if I go back in time to my HSBC debit card, will Virgin refund the 5% cash advance fee?
    2) any confirmation that HMRC will attract a 5% fee? If so, then Curve is essentially useless to me

Cheers

Going back in time doesn’t help because Curve refunds it as a separate transaction (as explained to me by Virgin CS), had it been refunded as the original transaction with the original reference it would. I spoke to Curve but it didn’t go anywhere (in fact had to wait 8 days for the first response). And hence decided to cancel the Metal as it is virtually useless now.

Judging by other’s comments HMRC attracts the fee as well.

Daiboy1980 45 posts

Two questions

Cheers

Going back in time doesn’t help because Curve refunds it as a separate transaction (as explained to me by Virgin CS), had it been refunded as the original transaction with the original reference it would. I spoke to Curve but it didn’t go anywhere (in fact had to wait 8 days for the first response). And hence decided to cancel the Metal as it is virtually useless now.

Judging by other’s comments HMRC attracts the fee as well.

Thanks for the clarification, so essentially the Curve Fronted option is pointless now, as it would cost 5% of the transaction to obtain the points, making it un feasible.

So Curve metal, will be cancelled.

Do we know if HSBC world elite follows the same 5% charge for HRMRC?

laughingplace 27 posts

has anyone actually confirmed that payments to HMRC attract the cash advance fee?

Rui N. 828 posts

Ironically, ATM withdrawls (you know, actual cash) don’t seem to attract cash advance fees.

Daiboy1980 45 posts

has anyone actually confirmed that payments to HMRC attract the cash advance fee?

Would appreciate some confirmation of this too!

If it does, surely that is the end of Curve? Other than curve fronted, it is just another card.

Rui N. 828 posts

You know there are other credit cards besides Virgin, right? And that not everybody has a need to pay HMRC?

CarpalTravel 362 posts

Virgin themselves killed my VAA card for me. Silly redemption prices after having initially killed off all redemptions at the time I was booking, curve hasn’t touched my virgin card in months.

Daiboy1980 45 posts

Virgin themselves killed my VAA card for me. Silly redemption prices after having initially killed off all redemptions at the time I was booking, curve hasn’t touched my virgin card in months.

Does the HSBC world elite have the same cash advance issues?

SteveJ 977 posts

Try it and let everyone know.

Daiboy1980 45 posts

Try it and let everyone know.

If you are willing to wait until January 2023, then I can!

CarpalTravel 362 posts

You wouldn’t want to wait until making a huge lump sum payment? The results could be, disappointing.

Worth doing a £5 tester (or whatever would equate to the min charge) and seeing how it goes.

I cannot comment on HSBC, they made such an utter dogs dinner of setting up my premier account that I refuse to trust them with any of my money. Over 13months on, it is still sat there, zero balance….after no less than 4 requests for them to close it.

Tracy 315 posts

So how long does it take for cash advance fees to show on app? I made an HMRC test payment on Monday, nothing yet….

SteveJ 977 posts

So how long does it take for cash advance fees to show on app? I made an HMRC test payment on Monday, nothing yet….

Not sure on the answer to your question Tracy, but thanks for not just being a leech and expecting others to do all the testing and just waiting for results. Too many on this thread expecting to be spoon fed with zero personal risk/effort.

Guernsey Globetrotter 584 posts

Is the transaction still showing as ‘pending’ in the app? In my experience, if cash advance fees are applied they appear when the transaction clears, not when first posted as pending…

Anyway, good luck and as @SteveJ said thanks for your efforts and please do share feedback!

CarpalTravel 362 posts

I might well be wrong (no personal experience) but I don’t think you will see any charges detailed until the statement is produced, as cash advances are calculated on an interest rate applied daily. If your statement is more than a few days away it might be worth clearing the balance on your card now and then seeing what fees get applied, if any, come statement time.

That is how I would approach it.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.