Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Virgin Flying Club Virgin Money 241 vouchers issued in 2020, do old 241 rules apply for Reds?

• truthbetold 130 posts

Reds used to be able to book into Upper class 2for1, now it’s only Silver / Gold. As the vouchers were earned in 2020, and back then you could use Upper and only pay taxes, does it mean that the new rules of paying 50% miles (so 2 for 1.5) don’t apply to these old vouchers?

Travel Strong 258 posts

I believe you are mis-remembering.

Before the voucher changes, red members could not use the voucher for UC 2for1 redemptions, only gold could. In 2020 changes were brought in to allow reds to book UC on a voucher, but at a 2for1.5 rate.

The other pre-2020 change available to red level, was to upgrade a round trip to PE, or 2 one ways to PE (e.g. if splitting the voucher with your partner) – this was also the (only) benefit of the 2018 and earlier vouchers earned with MBNA credit cards.

Here is some info at launch in 2018:
    https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/05/09/mbna-virgin-atlantic-credit-card-closing/comment-page-1/

And when the positive changes for red members came in:
    https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/08/20/how-to-virgin-atlantic-credit-card-vouchers-work/

That is unless you are talking about a different voucher that I have forgotten about! (Possible!)

truthbetold 130 posts

thank you. perhaps was wishful thinking, and seems a little dull that Virgin haven’t matched BA 2for1, or entered into a card war with Amex’s currently insane intro offers (sadly the kids’ credit ratings don’t qualify them yet). I recall Virgin did previously have a much bigger mileage intro offer for the credit cards.

Do you know if the owner of the voucher has to be on the booking?

My intention is:
    My wife is Silver, her voucher could book me and her in Upper.
    I am Red and I could book both our kids in premium.

Alternatively are you aware of any current status match offers from hotel higher tiers to Virgin Red/Rewards tiers that I could apply for?

marks7389 425 posts

Don’t use the voucher for 2for1.5 if you’re Red status. You’re almost certainly better off using it for ‘upgrade’ (i.e. UC for the normal PE points). Even if you only have one voucher look at doing that for one of the people or in one direction and paying full UC points on the rest.

You might get away with doing a 2for1 though based on your wife’s Silver status so worth checking. I don’t believe the voucher holder has to travel, unlike BA Amex vouchers.

Travel Strong 258 posts

If your wife is silver, I would think it very likely that they will do all that you suggest, on one call. The agents have a lot of flexibility and autonomy, so long as you get someone with a bit of experience (which you almost always do).

You are right that virgin are a little quieter on offers currently, in the same way they are a little higher than BA on taxes, and a little slower than BA on replacing old UC seats with suites. It feels like they have taken a step back – perhaps seeing if they can make do as a leisure airline which does not compete as much for business travel loyalty.

truthbetold 130 posts

Good advice thank you

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.