Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards voco Grand Central Glasgow

• DJ 93 posts

Hi,

I’m currently planning a four-night stay in Glasgow. I have always been staying in Blythswood Square, but the points per night for the voco is looking very good at the moment, so I thought I would try something different.

I was wondering if any one stayed in the property before? Are they good at status recognition (Spire/Diamond)?

Thanks,

J

Scott 240 posts

Can’t comment on the hotel itself, but the area around the station is a bit grim, particularly at weekends, with folk who don’t know when they’ve had enough to drink trying to kill each other, as well as addicts, homeless, etc. Not very pleasant having to walk through them to get into your hotel.

GoingPostal 6 posts

Have a look at the Hotel Indigo which is nearby if you want a change. I got an upgraded room and complimentary minibar a couple of years ago as spire. No knowledge of what current diamond status would get you but I’d suggest either stay with the Blythswood or try the Indigo. I wouldn’t use the Voco.

chrism20 89 posts

I’ve stayed in it twice this year.

The usual Spire/Diamond of drink and points were offered. Upgraded on both stays, second stay was points and it was a double upgrade IIRC.

Rooms are a decent size and they have done a decent job with the refurb although they have left the shower over bath set up which I personally find a bit annoying although I acknowledge that it’s personal preference.

Breakfast is £10 if ordered before midnight otherwise it’s about £16 I think. Good choice and the dining area is nice whilst the quality is good. The buffet was still being served when I was last there, however all the restrictions have been lifted since. The hotel is a bit of a maze, particularly in finding the restaurant which you have to take the lift to the conference room level then take another lift or stairs down to the restaurant.

The Indigo rooms are starting to look a little tired now so the Voco rooms are definitely a step up and I’d say breakfast at the Voco is better than the indigo personally as the Indigo breakfast has always felt chaotic even though it’s actually served at the table.

Agree re comments above about the goings on externally, it’s very busy Fri/Sat nights and quite noisy as there is a very busy taxi rank there. If noise is an issue I’d ask for a room overlooking the roof of the station.

If you are driving the parking is easier at the Indigo although the Voco do have a discount available with the NCP in the station which does give quite a hefty discount IIRC

If the points amount suits it’s a solid choice – it did in my second visit and was about 15k points for a Friday night, it won’t blow your socks off but it’s a decent option in a very central location.

AnotherUser 182 posts

I’ve stayed at the Voco and Blythswood Square. Good recognition of Spire at the Grand Central (always been upgraded). The room service breakfast is excellent at the Grand Central and the bar is impressive looking (prices are surprisingly reasonable, though range of drinks could be better). The rooms I’ve been upgraded to at Grand Central are big, albeit slightly inefficient use of space in some. I like the location – very central and lively, and near good places to eat and drink. It does get rowdy around the hotel at the weekends, but never had a noisy room.

I’m back in Glasgow soon, and booked for the Grand Central. I like the pool at the Kimpton, but it’s hard to justify the much higher cost.

DJ 93 posts

Just checked in for a 4-night stay (voco) which was booked on points:
    – Upgraded to a Double Room with additional living area, I think that’s their second best room type
    – 4x Breakfast for two offered as welcome amenity

The room is very quiet as it is situated on the 5th floor, overall good experience so far, despite the lack of the gym/ pool facilities.

Mark Peterborough 29 posts

I stayed there on Tuesday night on a points booking . My Diamond status was recognised with a choice of 2 breakfasts or 2 drink’s vouchers or points . I was not offered a room upgrade , but as I had booked a twin I was expecting this . A quiet stay on the 5th floor and very convenient for trains in and out of Glasgow Central.

strickers 660 posts

All sounds fairly positive, have 3 nights booked next March for Country 2 Country if I can get tickets?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.