Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Virgin Flying Club Ideas for voucher use for North America ski holiday in 2023

• gillbee36 12 posts

I’ve got 2 upgrade / 241 vouchers that I’m hoping to use for a ski trip next year for three adults. I’d like to book Upper class using one 241 and one upgrade from premium.

Any advice on routes where availability is better than others or routes that are unlikely to ever have 3 redemption seats available ? Historically I’ve done BA and with the help of info from hfp, managed to get the destinations /cabin I was looking for. VA is a bit of an unknown so any tips n tricks appreciated.

Thanks

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    jj 520 posts

Your biggest problem is that VA doesn’t have direct flights to any of the major ski destinations in North America – most people want to arrive in Denver, Salt Lake City, Calgary or Vancouver. San Francisco is an option, but it’s a long drive to the snow from there, and Seattle has some gnarly resorts that aren’t really known in the UK.

Having said that, Virgin partners with Delta for connecting flights that might give you some great alternatives, as the resort’s close to all the cities I mentioned can get very crowded, apart from those in the Calgary area. That would also give you flexibility on the gateway city, increasing your chance of reward flight availability.

If a connecting flight is unavoidable, use it to your advantage to go off the beaten track. Dpending on your experience, you might look at options like Bozeman (Big Sky), Jackson (Jackson Hole and Grand Targhee), Albuquerque (Taos), Telluride or Boise (Sun Valley).

Have fun!

gillbee36 12 posts

Thanks jj.

We’ve done the drive from San Fran to Tahoe before and taken the train from Seattle to Vancouver and gone to Whistler from there. We’ll probably have 2 weeks and combine 6 or 7 days on the hills with some stops on the way. Internal connection is an option but one if rather avoid if possible.

It looks like Vegas, San Francisco, Seattle or LAX would be our options. Any experience on which might offer better availability? I’m sure I read LAX availability is poor but I might have that wrong. Seattle option may fit the bill if we can find available seats.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.